The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Onsite engagement partner - deduping PPC?

doodle

affiliate
Hello, relative newbie here! Im looking at adding a on-site engagement platform to my programme on awin. Using panels to re-engage users who show exit intent. This partner can de-dupe against other affiliate traffic which is great but just wondered if anyone else works with similar partners and also de-dupe against PPC traffic? thanks :)

de-dupe against PPC traffic

AWIN has exceptions to their recommendations for de-duping. This is a controversial topic and there are as many arguments for doing it as there are for not doing it.

There are benefits on both sides of the argument.

Never heard that term ROFLMAO

Industry Standard
The generally agreed ‘best method’, and one that’s been used for years by big merchants who are
paying to be on multi-platforms, not just affiliate networks but PPC, CPM, Yahoo and countless other
places is to set a local cookie. The local cookie, which is just a normal cookie, stores the name or
reference to the network/advert which last referred the customer to the site. Your order/checkout
systems can then read this local cookie and show the tracking code for that network or advert
campaign.
A local cookie (if set-up correctly) will be as reliable as the network cookie and will mean you will
be able to spend money on other campaigns such as PPC, CPM and so on while only ever paying
commission to the source responsible for the final sale/lead.

This is not dated??? may be old

Cookies are the biggest scam going today. I delete mine when I close the browser session with the exception of a few trusted websites I log into a lot.

We named this 'phenomena' referral or member slippage
Not much can be realistically done now in this situation unless the referred or their customer's attributes are known, e.g,:

An IP address​
+ an email​
+ a registration with a password and recovery phrase​
+ a redacted credit card number stored. <= even all of this can be circumvented often innocently.​

The best workaround is a whitelabel marketing product on that affiliate's domain name.

1. Then with a whitelabel it is the affiliate marketer's brand name with the sponsors responsibility only that of delivering the product or service and paying the affiliate this commission for his marketing effort and expense.
  2. The Brand agrees not to brand advertise to receive the network and affiliate refferals for the duration of the contract --not going to happen

When there is a Affiliate Network is the middle that network will lose some percentage.

In the adult webcam business affiliates members were allowed to change their account names without transferring the affiliate's rev-share ownership of the account. That's one reason I got out of the business --because of the lackadaisical attitude of oh well ...

So, basically we are talking about allowed referral fraud. Allowed for the reason we cannot prevent it ... cost of doing business ... shit happens.

Because of the way this whole business is disjointed and is unwilling to share data there really is no way to verify the parties honesty other than by the supposition of a reasonable commission event flow --epc if you may but this is more critical in long term revenue share agreements.

I set forth the proposition --the web cookie is dead 30%, or more of the time for tracking purposes post visit.

Don't fool yourself; I tested this 15 years ago and the cookie loss was 15% back then!

Explain how in detail lolz --I don't believe AWIN, or anyone else can, effectively. Notwithstanding a registration and some verification attributes.

To keep it simple, the idea is to prevent paying more than once for a conversion. However, the steps taken to do so can negatively effect publishers and advertisers providing valid traffic but promoting the same offer through more than one network.

The upside and the downside is 50/50 as I see it.

This partner can de-dupe against other affiliate traffic
***edited
only as to the last referral source.
AWIN does not database every referral AFIK. They set cookies and maybe have an IP database to prevent duplicate entries for *assumed* some short duration; days --not months. Prove me wrong ;)

I would expect a 30% fail rate of any 'de-duping' protocol used.

Luckily we are not talking nuclear power plants here :D

Last edited:
To keep it simple, the idea is to prevent paying more than once for a conversion. However, the steps taken to do so can negatively effect publishers and advertisers providing valid traffic but promoting the same offer through more than one network.
Either I misunderstood or you want to narrow the issue.

Paying for conversions only once is easy. Each event has a transaction --in a database --and a 'paper trail' < traceable .
I buy something there is a transaction -- one unique event.
I register; that event is only as unique as my credential given or used.

**if the same person buys 3 times from separate sources then there are 3 CPA events all of them are due commission payments.
The vendor shipped the goods 3 times. There is no sale duplication error here?
With the exception of there being a condition that a preexisting customer belongs to the house or the first selling affiliate.

Most of AWIN is ecommerce and the CPA is one time transaction/sale event only (from what I have seen there).

Last edited:

What is de-duplication?​

The name given to a process for ensuring that two different affiliates aren’t awarded for the same sale. This might occur when an advertiser has two programmes on two different networks. If a customer has visited publisher sites from both networks, and ends up with two publisher network cookies on their computer, the advertiser can end up paying twice for one sale if de-duplication is not set up. De-duplication can also accommodate other digital channels, whereby an advertiser may not choose to pay for a sale if the affiliate channel was not the last referring channel.

Cookie bullshit again </case closed>
that can only happen when there are 2 domains; or a cookie is set with w/ 3rd level www. subdomain.example.com; or has a different cookie name.

This whole cookie protocol is no damn good for tracking <period> Cookies are effective and reliable only for the current session. Cookies were never designed for the purpose of tracking.

There is no argument really in this it is all smoke and mirrors.
Return cookies may work 50% to 70% of the time --know the odds and adjust your numbers to fit.

Last edited:
Yes, exactly, and the idea behind de-duping is to prevent that in order to pay only once.
That makes no sense to me either.
If the customer makes a second purchase of another item on a referral unless, the house now owns that customer the CPA is payable to the 2nd seller.

We used to pay PPS in this way:
  • The new customer (only) was a $100 PPS
  • then that customer was in our database and not subject to further commission events
  • those were the terms to all affiliates --stated in the open and known.

If a network or merchant is too lame not knowing how, or too lazy to, database customers -- I will stay away from them for sure.

Last edited:
banners
Back