The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

On-Site Optimization - Basic Tips

Susan Gray

affiliate
Hi everyone;

Many IM veterans will nod their head in agreement when I say that SEO has got to be one of the most over-complicated pieces of the internet marketing puzzle. SEO is not complicated, nor is it difficult. It is simple, methodical, and it's anyone with any amount of technical aptitude can learn how it works.

I'm going to assume that you've already built a website before. If not, PM me and I will get you started on how to build a website.

There are two components of SEO: on-site factors (page titles, content, etc.) and off-site factors (links and citations). That's it. This post is going to be talking about the on-site factors.

The Importance of On-Site Optimization

On-site SEO is approximately 15%-20% of what SEO is. In other words, on-site SEO on its own is unlikely to get a website ranked for competitive keyword terms. However, on-site SEO is an important part of SEO and should be completed diligently.

Important on-site SEO factors:

• Page title - Should be accurate and unique for each individual page and contain the keyphrase. If your desired keyword is "Toronto Vet Clinic", your page title might be "Your Toronto Vet Clinic | YOURSITE.COM".
  • Page URL - Should be easy to follow, no more than two layers deep, and have the keyword (if possible). For example, http://www.yoursite.com/page1.html is not nearly as good as http://www.yoursite.com/search-engin...tion-help.html
  • Page description - Should be concise and accurate. Do not keyword stuff. Make this appealing to the user and encourage them to click it. If you're a vet clinic in Toronto, a description could be: "Your Toronto Vet Clinic since 2004, specializing in general veterinary services for Toronto and area."
  • Keyword density - Shoot for a keyword density of 2%-5%. Do not keyword stuff your content.
  • Proper use of H1/H2/H3 tags - Use them sparingly and where appropriate. Make them keyword reach but still readable to the user.
  • Internal linking - Link to other pages of your site where appropriate. Follow good linking practices (keyword for anchor text, no more than 5 words long, etc.)
  • Alt text on images - Put the keyword in the alt text for images.
  • 301 redirects of old/antiquated pages - If a page has moved make sure you have a 301 redirect in place. This tells the search engines the page it's looking for has moved permanently.
  • Appropriate use of .htaccess file - Make sure that your site is set up so that http;//yoursite.com automatically redirects to http://www.yoursite.com.
  • Meta tags - Not as important as they once were, but put keywords in the meta tags that describe the page.
  • XML/Static sitemap - XML for search engines, static for users. Helps with internal linking.
  • Appropriate amount of content - Shoot for a minimum of 250 words per page.

These are the fundamentals that will make the biggest difference in your ranking. Once you have these ironed out you can start to fine-tune your on-site SEO strategy.

Make sure that every element of the page compliments the other ones. For example, if your page title is "Basic SEO tips", make sure the url is yoursite.com/basic-seo-tips, that the H1/H2/H3 tags are related to the keyword, etc. Keep everything consistent!

Lastly, and probably most importantly, build your site so that your user can use it easily. Increasing your user experience, along with decreasing your bounce rate, will help with your rankings.

Very right about on-site optimization which is also know as on-page optimization. On page optimization is one of the very first steps of SEO. If you can do proper on-page optimization for your website you can not only rank well in a search engine but also can increase the overall readability of your website for your visitors.

I would like to add:

Remember to make your internal link structure SIMPLE. If its too complicated then the google crawler robot may not even find all of the pages on your website.
Common way to do this is to use the navigation bar to link to all the internal pages on your site... however if you have a site with 1000 pages of content then you your going to have to modify your internal link structure to accommodate as such

I am not doing my SEO on the basis of “believing” something, as that doesn’t make much sense to me.
I am running rather big news server site, so I need to do some on-site SEO, but there is a large number of articles coming in every day, so I don’t have spare time to do steps which do not provide results, “just in case”. But if you have a blog or a small (or automatically generated) affiliate site, by all means do all your best practices sutff, I am not against it.
I just wanted to know is someone don’t have some empirical evidence I can lears from, nothing more..I didn’t want to offense you guys.

Focus on
Keyword search
Title Tags
Heading Tags
ALT Tags
Page Loading
Content management
Anchor Tags
Site Map
Your site should some unique than your competitor (which engage user)

"Meta tags - Not as important as they once were, but put keywords in the meta tags that describe the page."

Meta keyword tag is no more important and all search engines ignores it completely.. only meta description is important..

True information

On-site optimization involves modifying keyword frequency in the URL, Title, Headings, Hypertext Links and Body text. This normally consists of pages written in the HyperText Markup Language but also applies to other document formats.

Basic Tips for On site Optimization

Insert keywords in META tag.
For those search engines that are META enabled, the META keywords tag used to be one of the most important areas after the page title and page description. It has been abused by both marketers and consumers alike that there is very little weight given to the META keywords tag.

use only one < H1 > tag per page, and use your keyword phrase in the tag. Use it toward the top of the page. Make sure it captures your visitors' attention as soon as they land on your site. Also, make sure your first paragraph or the first words you use are interesting and designed to hold your visitors' attention. If you don't grab their attention and HOLD IT in the very beginning, they'll hit the back button and go back to the search results... it's as simple as that.

Don't stuff keywords in title
Don't stuff a bunch of keywords in your title separated by commas. It is one of the most unprofessional practices and it doesn't work real well for scan friendliness.

The notion that SEO is difficult, complicated and whatnot has got to be removed in each of the minds if internet marketers. The thing about SEO is to only follow what search engine value most like link juice or quality content. That's all there is in it. Of course, it has to be up to the moral and ethical standards.

MI
Back