The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Niche - Start with Many or Focus on ONE?

fheath

affiliate
Could I build a website where I am promote more than one product or is it better to work with one niche.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Felicia,

Well since you're new it's much easier to focus on one thing to start with for a variety of reasons. But you may think of a topic that has other closely related niches - so after you focus on one niche and get it down you can expand a little to a couple more related niches.

No not variety - NOT for starting out. Think of it this way...

Let's say you get lucky right off the bat and hook up with a merchant that converts at 1 sale out of 100 visitors. Check out what happens in the red then the blue examples below.

> You build a site about ONE NICHE - widgets.
> Writing content is easy because you focus on ONE thing
> It takes you 1 month to get your 1st 100 visitors
> All your traffic is interested in widgets
> so you make ONE sale your 1st month.

If you build a site about 10 NICHES: widget building, computer repair, dog training, crocheting, etc.

Writing content is harder and takes longer because you have to learn about and write about 10 different things.

ALSO AND VERY IMPORTANT - since you don't know what you are doing you may do many things wrong at 1st and you just multiplied those mistakes across all your niches.

It takes you 1 month JUST to get all the content written and find 10 different merchants, 1 for each niche. So at the end of 1st month have NO visitors and NO sales.

Even if you were lucky on the content writing and had one merchant that sold products for each of the 10 niches, had time to market and DID get 100 visitors the 1st month...
your visitors would all be divided up among the different pages.

So for example if 10 visitors each went to 10 pages the 1st month you
would make NO sales. Cuz it takes 100 visitors to get 1 sale.

So instead of making your 1st sale your 1st month.
It would take 10 months to make a sale!

Ok so I realize that example is probably not going to happen in reality.
In reality your traffic would gradually grow, you wouldn't stay at 100 visitors a month. I know also your traffic would not be equally divided between the 10 pages. But do you GET what I'm trying to teach you???

My theory is that it's best to get a domain like bestwidgets.com that you can build on and diversify later. Start with red widgets. Focus. Build traffic. Start getting some sales. Then add blue widgets, then add widgets for kids, then kitchen widgets. Each section is very targeted, but they are all tightly related which the search engines like because everything is the same "theme." Your customers may like it to because they could come looking for red widgets and also find a kitchen widget.

ALSO by the time that 1st niche is ROLLING - YOU WILL HAVE LEARNED SOME VALUABLE LESSONS that help you better tackle the next niche. Your 1st niche is already starting to make sales, your 2nd niche is faster and easier and then you keep building from there.

ONE THING I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH - It's very important for newbies to get that 1st sale as soon as possible. If they work and work and try to build an "everything but the kitchen sink - mall type site" and don't see any money for 3 months, 98% will drop out saying affiliate marketing doesn't work!

But you could recommend the top 2-3 products within your topic. That way you don't seem like a billboard for one company or product. You can weigh the pros and cons and help your audience choose that way.

Sheree

Good point - I just re-read the question.

"Could I build a website where I am promote more than one product or is it better to work with one niche."

You used the word product and niche. I keyed in on niche especially after Adulu said
Variety niche! He also talked about Google's model. Diversification is great if you are a large company OR a pro affiliate. Just not the best way to start

So I was talking about focusing on one niche. BUT like Sheree said it's fine to have
2 or 3 products in the one niche. It's good to offer people a choice and then you can
also market test which one(s) convert better.

Totally Agree

I've had the most success with this approach too. Pick a niche which can be expanded into a larger topic and build it gradually from a tight specific niche with one product to a site then add several specific niche related products.
Making sure that keywords have one main topic word in their phrases you next link this to a new site in a closely related niche to extend into the main topic and so on.Each build adds to your authority for a main topic.

Starting from a main topic and working backwards doesn't work. Too much diversity as you say fractures your attention and dilutes any advantage seo might give you.

MI
Back