The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Newbie question

gfourpeople

I just have a quick question. If I want to promote multiple products from one or more affiliate partners do i have to have a domain name for each product or can i use one site? Thanks for the help.

Hi again gfourpeople...:) You can use one site but try and keep the products you choose within the same niche or theme that the site revolves around. If you want to promote multiple products that are different in nature then I would suggest creating separate sites for each varied product or service. If you haven't already, read some or all of the stickies in the Newbie areas on this forum to get a sense of how to proceed. I hope this helps. Take care and all the best.

answers

Hello,

I agree with Jazz make sure that all the products you promote related to your nice.

Also, there are times when doing a micro niche can be beneficial, like computers is a very broad niche and has billions of competition, but sometimes you can find a specific product to exploit within that niche, such as Dell Computers and then you may want to dedicate an entire site to that. Then you would want it to have its own domain since it's the focus of your niche and put the keywords if possible into the domain for faster ranking.

Good Luck!

Yeah you should list it in one site. You can maintain and optimized easily if your focus is in one site. But if you only used one site it should be all related the content must be related with each other. The site must be categorized.:D good luck!

Keep branding and keywords in mind

Another very effective way to do this is to categorize as suggested in the other tips here, but you may want to think about branding within those other url's as well. Say you are going to promote sporting goods, you may want to brand the specific categories url's in a manner like the example below;

zingohockey.com
zingobaseball.com
zingovolleyball.com
zingobilliards.com

Using the brand zingo as an example, you can eventually culture your visitors to understand that instead of searching for something they can just enter the url, www.Zingo(whatever they want)

This also gives you the opportunity to cross link all the sites and get some link love for the term zingo in addition to your specific category.

I think one of the most overlooked strategies in IM is to start out and attempt to create the big picture first, without getting stalled out by trying to make it perfect. It's just a good idea to plan for every test to explode, that way, when one of them does, you're properly prepared to take full advantage of it.

My experience has been that you get better link juice from independent site to independent site moreso than linking pages within the same domain. Say if one of the categories, (say hockey) took off and got some nice traffic and good inbound links and some ranking, then by linking that page to other independent URL's rather than subs within the same site you get more value out of the seach engines ranking. Now you have several URL's that look good instead of one URL and several pages. As long as you set up clear navigation to the other url's it will look just like navigation to other pages within the site, but now you get to benefit across the board.

At the end of the day I think it's better to have multiple URL's with link juice so you can build on that, than to have one URL and multiple pages with link juice. Kind of just taking the favorable juice up one level of the pyramid.

At the end of the day I think it's better to have multiple URL's with link juice so you can build on that, than to have one URL and multiple pages with link juice. Kind of just taking the favorable juice up one level of the pyramid.

Thanks for all the great tips Scott and I can see your point for a pro strategy.

We need to remember who we are talking to however and if someone is asking a question like this
they are a brand new newbie. I feel strongly recommending different domains bad advice for a newbie.
I'm with Niche and jazzguy on the sub-domains!

I think they need one site they can devote all their content writing, marketing, link building efforts to and not get sidetracked with what a newbie would think is the extra cost, hassle and time of building out a bunch of separate sites.

Even for pros I feel a single site with sub domains is a better strategy. Even James Martell who wrote one of the original books on affiliate marketing and who's strategy was to build a bunch of niche sites says - if he could do it all over again he'd have one site, just one and focus his energy instead of scattering it.

NOW EVERYTHING I SAID ABOVE - is based on having complimentary and related products. I don't recommend having a single site for baby strollers, golf clubs and computers. My advice above is also for newbies. Pros can do whatever they want after the know the ropes.

Scott, it could also be different for PPC and since that's your specialty I would concede to your advice there. But non-PPC newbie, different strategy IMHO.

Linda,

Of course you're right, when it comes to a newbie and just starting out simple is much better. My bad for getting carried away on this one. I know James as well and with organic traffic maybe multiple pages is better than multiple URL's, but in PPC one arbitrary site slap can put you out of business so most PPC people have many, many url's; kind of like an investment portfolio and not putting all the eggs in one basket.

Hmmm....that makes sense from a PPC point of view. I do all organic so it's a tad different in my case...that being said, there' always room for another viewpoint...:) Thanks for the informative discussion Scott...:)

MI
Back