The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

New to affiliates. Added a 70% commission for my site. Thoughts / Advice?

Voodoomoodoo

affiliate
Hello - this is my first post :)

A couple of friends an I recently made a domain price comparison site. Everyone who's viewed it has given great feedback. However, our current issue is that we're having difficulty spreading the word. We're all complete newbies in the marketing front but have been reading various resources and advice.

One major feature we added recently is an affiliate program. The concept sounds like a win-win situation. It's taking a lot of work so we're not sure if it's worth it. We also figured that we'd give a 70% commission to incentives people. Is this too high? Do you find this sort of marketing works?
We're trying to go for a no-bullshit approach, but it's difficult.

Advice and feedback much appreciated.

Here's out site/referral program:

Domain Registration Affiliate

Oh, and of course, if you're interested then feel free to join!

I like your website. But I got lost for a moment.

I think from a user point of view it would be nicer if he could enter his domain name and see the prices across all networks. So you could have just a box on the homepage instead of the chart that says "Enter Your Domain Name To Compare Prices Across The Web" and then sort the results. Charts are scary.

More user engagement = More conversions.

70% commission is sweet. But since the order volumes are quite low (I assume. People usually buy a domain at a time, and the first year is always around 10$ max), I think you need to give out at least 50% to keep the affiliate interested. Just my thought.

Well as an affiliate I appreciate your frankness about being "complete newbes to marketing", but it doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence to work with you guys lol. The problem is I believe, most affiliates will rather work with well known CPA networks, with a spotless track record of paying people on time-everytime, a diversity of offers (we always looking for ROI), and faster cashflow (cause net-30 sucks balls).

But if you're just starting wouldn't really recommend you to use a CPA network really, cause a lot of bad juju may happen if you don't know what you doing when it comes to affiliate marketing (servers crashing, fraudulent traffic and the like). So you prolly wanna start learning a bit about it, and use the "do it yourself approach" for a while. Till you get a bit more acquainted to the nitty-gritty of Internet Marketing.

Good news is you're on one the best forum to learn about it ;), and I'd also recommend you to check Noah Kagan's blog Okdork.com (Appsumo/Mint.com founder, former facebook employee), which is more startup oriented. And it has a lot of marketing gems nonetheless.

You can also PM me, and I'd be happy to give you a few pointers about internet marketing, and mostly media buying which is really my forte. So I wish you the best of success and like they say in startup slang, to become "the google of domain price list", hehe ;)

Cheers!

MI
Back