The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

New Domain Names - Suggestion please

temi

affiliate
I get asked for advice about domain names a lot, I usually give this via PM, i think it will be nice if we have a sticky about domain name. I will like all our experienced members to add a tip of two to this post, it will be collected together and posted as a sticky.

Here are some from me:
* Choose a name that is as short as possible
* Choose a domain name that is easy to pronounce
* If you are targeting UK customers, use a .uk domain extension.
* If you primary domain is .uk, to protect your brand, register .com and the other popular extensions.
* Avoid hyphen in your domain name if possible. (Other argue that hyphen is actually desirable in domain names).
* Easy to remember
* representative of your content 'articleworld' for example
* doesn't use clever spellings 'datez' for example
* passes easily via word of mouth
* Don't use numbers in your name if you can avoid it. If you can't avoid it, then make sure you register all the alternatives and redirect other names to the main name. For example,
register both 2k.com and twok.com instead of registering just 2k.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy to remember
representative of your content 'articleworld' for example
doesnt use clever spellings 'datez' for example
passes easily via word of mouth

Don't use numbers in your name if you can avoid it. If you can't avoid it, then make sure you register all the alternatives and redirect other names to the main name. For example,
register both 2k.com and twok.com instead of registering just 2k.com.

how about search engine optimiSation then? if your site is aimed at the uk use UK spelling, if yur site is aimed at US, us US english spelling. If both, buy both and 301 the smaller market to the larger.

keywords in the domain never have really helped to the degree that many believe, it has always been the benefit of having the correct anchor text naturally that has helped more than anything.

Thanks for that update livetech, I think CarPhoneWarehouse is a mouthful any way, another possible misspelling you did not mention is CarePhoneWhoreHouse, this spelling also happens to be what I think of them :)

Hi Temi,
Your advices are very useful. When searching for good domain name ,I'm using this domain name generator: LeanDomainSearch . com. I have tested many of them but this one is on top of my list + match all the criteria you posted.

MI
Back