The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Needing an SEO Buddy

rhyswynne

affiliate
Hi everybody, this'll be a long post, but bare with me.

I work for a small web design company and pretty much the SEO Chappy for this company. As such I'm responsible for the web marketing and promotion for the company and it's clients.

I must be good at my job :D as my workload has increased considerably, so much so that it's becoming a bit tricky for one man, on top of my other committments with my job.

As a result, my boss wants to assign an SEO "Buddy". What they would do is basically things like submit to directories, drafting a few articles etc., to take a little bit of the weight off my shoulders. This person would probably be outsourced, and I'd communicate via MSN/Skype.

At the moment, I'm putting together a list of questions to ask prospective outsourcing companies, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts as in what to look for, what questions to ask etc.

I'm also taking recommendations for companies (this really isn't directory submission, but more of a long term seo guru). I don't really know what the budget is, so I can't answer any questions on that, but I'll happily answer any questions you may have.

Anyway, apologies for the long post guys, this is the first time I've had to look for somebody who I will effectively supervise, so I'd like to try and get it right. I trust the opinion of you guys, hence why I asked :)

Rhys,
It is an interesting task and an interesting ask.
I have previously looked for someone similar but unfortunately didn't find anyone that I was satisfied with. Mind you, I really am picky and expect 100% pure quality and exceeding effort put in to any job undertaken.
One thing is for certain - ensure whoever you select has a proven knowledge and background. Trust can only be built after a few jobs have been undertaken.

Yeah, this is one of the requirements.

We have this chap employed with us in an Indian company on the PHP development side of things. We're fairly happy with him with no complaints. The company offers SEO assistance packages, and - to be honest - their name is the first on the list (better the devil you know). However, we are looking to shop around as, like you said, we do want the best man for the job, and all because they're good on the PHP side of things doesn't mean they're good on the SEO kind of things.

Before taking any decision, please ask for their portfolio. Don't assured yourself with their sweetest and inspiring words.

Even they say, they promote some site SERP no 1, don't believe, check if they have really did it.

Provably employing a guy for a handsome money every month would be a better option than employing a company.

In my post "their" means no particular SEO company, but as a whole.

Well..........

I also have been looking for a seo guy for one of my friends - i think best is to talk to them instead of writing an email.
You never know who is answering the email.

Prepare a ste of questions and fire away!

Someone was telling me that he is a "SEO" - so i asked him how does he sus up the competition - what he told me was like --- what!!!!

He didn't even know the basic seo - i was so amazed that he was selling seo packages! He didn't know how to check backlinks - what tools to use, didn't have a clue to what strategy he is going to employ!
In general, in our 15 min's of talk - i told him more about seo - than he knew & i am only learning!

So put him through the paces ! Talk to the person whom ur going to employ, ask pointed, specific questions, ask for websites they have optimized & the keywords they have optimized it for. Ask for evidence & run the evidence thru its paces - it takes 30 mins to suss up a website's seo at a cursory glance!

Make sure that the guy knows english and can communicate ( oral & written) - ask for any articles they have written etc.

Hope this helps!

I am a little bit uncertain, because if you want the best I belive you need OWG, but if you think that I am experienced enough I would gladly answer your questions according to my best knowledge.

But, maybe you should come up with your questions openly at this forum, I know that you will get valuable imputs:)

Arora, unfortunately thats not uncommon to have some idiot selling SEO packages when they have no clue.

I do agree with setting some questions tho and as soon as the potential candidate asks "Sorry I don't understand that" or "can you repeat the question".

Strike them of the list.

KP

I am a little bit uncertain, because if you want the best I belive you need OWG, but if you think that I am experienced enough I would gladly answer your questions according to my best knowledge.

But, maybe you should come up with your questions openly at this forum, I know that you will get valuable imputs:)

Cheers for the vote Bagi, but I am not sure there is such a think as 'the best' SEO. That might seem an odd statement, but really, I am first and foremost a marketer, I make money online and offline. I moved from an offline marketing business making mony, to an online one. I knew what the web could do and prepared for the UK to grasp the web, that was 1995.

My strengths come in understanding marketing, understanding how search engines work and think, understanding where they are going in the future an example can be seen here where 4 years agop we discussed personal search Personalisation ..... - High Rankings Search Engine Optimization Forum .

I make money online and offline, there are people that earn more money than I online, but my online cash tends to be residual rather than short term 'SAS' style 'in out profit, next' style. people like Shoey (jeremy Shoemaker) will make a couple a hundred k a month from a project, but a LOT of effort goes into that and it is a completely different methodology to the way I work.

I LOVE web marketing, I understand SEO, but i don't see the challenge of what I do being getting a site to rank, that is the easy part, as I know what will work and just do it. the REAL fun is looking at a site, and working with it to make it better, better for the user, better for the owner, better for everyone, and at the end of the day, better for the bank balance also.

Getting a site to rank is the easy part, getting it working to its maximum possible potential is what I adore. :)

Oh & as for me being the best, I know next to bugger all about social networking LOL :thumbsup:

Thanks for your input so far, I'm working on this today in work, so I'll come back with my plan for the weekend :)

My plan for the weekend is Up early, watch some super 14's rugby from down south , watch my club play saturday afternoon, we have prevented relegation in a horrible season, go to our district under 9's tournament all day Sunday and watch kids play rugby (I am ditrict secretary in the Ospreys region), so looking forward to that.

So in short.... RUGBY :D

As I think, In SEO nothing is the Best. If you are ranking well, you can say that the seo has done a good job only. The best is only possible if you are ranking on 1 and never fell down from there. Search engines regularly change their algo and it put its weight on different factors.
I am also willing to answer your questions.
Please post them here in this forum. or you may come for a live chat with me.
amjad_you @yahoo.co.in
amjad.hsbc @gmail.com

Hope to give you some valuable information about what SEO is?
What should be there in a good SEO?
What strategy an SEO should opt to get high ranking?
and a lot more
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, a little later than usual (got hugely busy in work on Friday), here's a list of things I think I should ask and defining the role. If anybody could go through it, and think of anything to add, I would be eternally greatful :)

--------------------

SEO Buddy Requirements
Our SEO Buddy would spend their time working with myself, carrying out duties such as Directory Submission, Article Submission, and the drafting of articles for me to correct and refine for publication.

The SEO Buddy would also have their own ideas on the promotion of websites, and over time, would establish a relationship with myself to further aid the promotion of our SEO Clients, as well as the company's internal website.

SEO Buddy Questions

1. Could you provide examples of SEO Work carried out? The examples must contain the following:
    1. Website optimised.
    2. Keywords optimised for.
    3. Results for the company (increased traffic/sales?)
  2. Could you provide a small sample of directories you submit to on a regular basis?
  3. What is your overall success rate with directory submission?
  4. What areas would you consider your company strong in?
  5. Could you provide a small sample list of the tools you use on a daily basis?
  6. Could you provide a small sample of articles you have written?
  7. Do you have any clients that would be happy to contact for a reference?
  8. How are we able to communicate with you?

1. Could you provide examples of SEO Work carried out? - Yes The examples must contain the following:
    1. Website optimised. - Very Well Optimised Thank you
    2. Keywords optimised for. - Lingerie, Hosting, Domain, Mortgage, Boats, Cancer etc etc
    3. Results for the company (increased traffic/sales?) - Both 110%
  2. Could you provide a small sample of directories you submit to on a regular basis? - No, I pay someone else to do that.
  3. What is your overall success rate with directory submission? - Good I think
  4. What areas would you consider your company strong in? - E-Commerce, Affiliate Marketing, Branding, Email Marketing, In-Game Advertising, TV & Radio Advertising, SEO and other Internet Marketing methods
  5. Could you provide a small sample list of the tools you use on a daily basis? - Sure, I'll PM them.
  6. Could you provide a small sample of articles you have written? - Check out my blog!!
  7. Do you have any clients that would be happy to contact for a reference? - Loads!!
  8. How are we able to communicate with you? - I'll come and see you, I'll even bring my dog to stroke if you like? Call you, use MSN, Skype too
So, when do I start? :p

All joking aside. Good questions!!

KP :D

hi,
I want to add one more ques to your list, If you consider it important.
What tool do you use to track the performance of the site optimized by you?

SEO Buddy Questions

1. Could you provide examples of SEO Work carried out? The examples must contain the following:
    1. Website optimised. Bagga and many more
    2. Keywords optimised for. Armani Jeans, G-Star Jeans, Diesel Jeans and many more.
    3. Results for the company (increased traffic/sales?) Yep to both.
  2. Could you provide a small sample of directories you submit to on a regular basis? Now that would be telling:search: Actually I tailor submissions dependant on the site optimising for.
  3. What is your overall success rate with directory submission? 50/50
  4. What areas would you consider your company strong in? SEO / Usability.
  5. Could you provide a small sample list of the tools you use on a daily basis? Nope I dont agree in SEO tools, use webmaster for overview thats about it.
  6. Could you provide a small sample of articles you have written? Yep, how many do you want?.
  7. Do you have any clients that would be happy to contact for a reference? Yep but proof is in the pudding best bet is to look at results.
  8. How are we able to communicate with you? Messenger, email, phone, meet in person.
  9. What tool do you use to track the performance of the site optimized by you? My own very funky tool, it pings SERP's at set time intervals (once a month) works out for each keyword optimising for the position against last months position and gives you the results and a nice pretty graph. looks great if you are getting higher results ;-).
Perhaps you should also ask

What time frame do you expect to start seeing an increase in positioning.

What was the first browser you ever used?

Do you remember when yahoo rocked the world?

Alta what???

Why is google so important?

Relevancy of meta keywords?

What changes will you do to my site and how?

So what makes you an SEO expert?

MI
Back