The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Need Advice - Selling A Website

Teli

affiliate
Hello fellow 5 Star members,
I'm finally plunging into the deep waters of website sales. The first site I've decided to put on the auction block is already an established, revenue generating site that I simply do not have the time for anymore. But, before I actually list the website for sale, I would like to garner some advice and words of wisdom.

Without giving away too many details, this is a product website, established with a customer base (however, it may only come with a partial customer base b/c I've decided to let the individuals decide whether to be left in the database after the sale), with a mid-level pagerank and #1 Google rankings for a couple highly relevant keywords.

That said, I'm looking for any gotchas I should be aware of, methods of selling (i.e. have you sold a domain through any forums? If so, how did it go?), payment options, and valuation.

Any input would be helpful. :)

Thanks,
~ Teli

Teli,

Not sure that I can help you too much but I recently had a page appraised by Moniker.com and it was a very professional and thorough appraisal taking into many aspects of the site. The owner of Moniker, Monte Cahn does a radio show on WebmasterRadio.fm every Wednesday at 7pm est. and listening to this I have really learned alot about Domains and Selling Domains. So much so that I transferred all of my domains to Moniker for better management.

Also they have a new Escrow Service too that will help in the transfer of the domain safely.

Hope this helps.....

Charlie

Hi Teli,

A company has been trying to buy 5 Star. Don't worry guys, I don't plan to sell out. The company that's after me buys lots of sites and seems to know what they are doing.

They told me the standard revenue valuation model is 2X annual revenue for eComm sites and 4X annual revenue for content sites. But when I researched I saw that some say it's 3X for ecomm and 6X for content sites.

Then obviously age, PR, traffic and everything else gets valued in.

I'm curious about this too because I'm thinking about selling 5starBlogs.com - a blog directory that gets some decent traffic and is a PR 5 and also 5starWebTools.com which has been sitting out there for years and I've just never gotten around to do anything with. Have some other domains without sites I'm thinking of selling too. Just tired of sitting on them since I never have time to do anything with them.

One thought I have for you Teli. I've often thought that trying to sell a site on DNforum or Sitepoint or whatever could get you a lower bid because there are lots of savvy domain sharks hanging out at those places. So depending on the product category, I wonder if you might get a better offer advertising at a forum specific to that industry rather than selling it at one of the domain forums or auctions.

So share what you find out here Teli as you explore options
or anyone else let us know what you think.

Teli,

Before selling your site, I'd think if the site or its database would be helpful to you moving forward. Personally, I'd not sell a site that is not generating any costs to me, I'd just leave it to be a portfolio item. I don't know if you're a designer or use web design as part of your profession, but that's what I think. If you really want to sell it, I'd post ads on webmaster boards such as webmaster-talk or sitepoint. Just be careful with payment methods, I like paypal better than others. Another option if you do not want to work on the site but like the domain is to use a parking domain service and make some extra bucks without having to work on the site. Good luck.

Teli made her post more than 7 months ago, on February 2nd, and she has probably taken some action by now. It went over 7 months without a reply but was recently brought back to life. The replies could be of help to others who are trying to make selling decisions.

Bwahahahaha! It was intention to leave you all in complete suspense. Just kidding. LOL

Actually, I opted not to sell it. However, I did learn a great deal about the process and I may choose to sell another website in the future. (I was actually approached by someone about purchasing another site I owned, but it definitely wasn't up for sale.)

Thanks for reviving the thread because all the input offered is helping not only me, but others I'm sure.

~ Teli

Teli,

I know this thread is old. But, I have sold quiet a few sites. And, mostly on sitepoint. One thing you must do is make the buyers contact you first before placing a bid on your auction. I recently dealt with some fake buyers, not only one but two on sitepoint.

Also, people love stats. Traffic stats, revenue stats, etc etc. So, stats are a must have for any auction.

There are some other auction places too, I do not want to advertise any on this thread.

Linda/Larwee - I have been away for quiet sometime. But, I am back now :)

MI
Back