The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

little Fish in big Pond. What are my Odds?

themindvoid

affiliate
Currently I'm about 4 days into my new niche site, after wasting the day figuring out wordpress, I am just about ready to type and SEO my content.
I know that the general rule is to go for the lesser competition, but my competitive nature has set my eyes on a somewhat competitive keyword.

So here are the facts:

Competition : allintitle: "keyword" come up with 20,400

google adwords shows about 90,000 avg/mo with 49,000 last month and a full competitiion bar ( though ill be aiming for organic traffic)

1st three ranked sites are pretty big stores, out of my leauge for sure ( but more like competitors with my merchant company)

followed by some pretty humble looking affiliate sites.

w/o allintitle i'm looking at about 1.5 M other sites.

So my question isnt Can I do it, but rather What would it take to do it?

and secondly Would you recommend it?

Hi ...

I would thoroughly recommend you do some research into how many links those sites have ... if you have firefox, download the SEO for firefox plugin, see how many links those potential competing sites have ...

at the end of the day, offsite SEO (links) will likely be the best way for you to get to the top ... see if it's achievable ...

i think there is nothing wrong with aiming for the top ... but you have to be prepared that it won't always work ...

if you are doing a blog as opposed to a more static site, then target your number 1 keyword but then do posts targetting other keywords :)

ok how to read the numbers.

Ok i got a firefox seo tool and did some research, but im not sure how to interpret the numbers, for example a page has 23 internal links and 11 external links. I understand what the words mean but, not sure what it means for my SEO campaign.

Ive also read elsewhere to aim for a target keyword and have pages that aim for similar keywords, but do they have to cross over in order to make the main keyword rank higher.

e.g Home page targets "money folding" so then i make another page target "dollar folding"

or does it only work with another page targeting something like "improve money folding techniques"??

Ok i got a firefox seo tool and did some research, but im not sure how to interpret the numbers, for example a page has 23 internal links and 11 external links. I understand what the words mean but, not sure what it means for my SEO campaign.

Ive also read elsewhere to aim for a target keyword and have pages that aim for similar keywords, but do they have to cross over in order to make the main keyword rank higher.

e.g Home page targets "money folding" so then i make another page target "dollar folding"

or does it only work with another page targeting something like "improve money folding techniques"??

Both your examples are fine using internal links to other folding or money related pages boosts the relevance of your main keyword. You don't need to repeat your main keyword over & over on your main page similar terms are actually better - have your main keyword in your page name, meta tag, keywords & title. Also have the main keyword if possible in your first paragraph, in heading tags, an image alt tag & use as a href url link. It may seem like saturation but your main keyword density can be kept to a minimum if it is optimized like this.
Instead of repeating the main keyword use associated words in your body text you can use wordtracker or googles own adword tool to find words google considers associated.

As for the plugin results all you have found is the insite links - howmany links link to other sites or to other pages on the same site. check your competition by using link:competitorssite.com this will show how many other sites are linking to that site - Copy them & try to get the same links to yours + more.
If you are selling something then an affiliate program will also give you inbound links

The niche I started with, being a field I currently work in, had 77k total results with 44k "all in title". I chugged in head first with the thought that everyone on the first page is promoting one product. I have been attacking it on the standpoint as an overall guide, and had good results.

I hit as high as ranked 12, but that was in the Honeymoon phase. I dropped off the radar for a few days, but today came back up ranked 101 overall (83 in title). And that was from minimal effort really to shake the sandbox effect (one article posted, linked on 7 sites).

If you think you can penetrate page 1, or feel you can compete in PPC, then go for it. And don't get discouraged if you get sandboxed... that ripped my heart out (until I learned it was a pretty common thing for new sites).

w/o allintitle i'm looking at about 1.5 M other sites.

So my question isnt Can I do it, but rather What would it take to do it?

and secondly Would you recommend it?

To get on the top page of Google for you keyword, make sure you really understand SEO and fully implement it into your website.

One of my sites is about 1 year and 1/2 old and I was dealing with some big hitters (PR5 and above) when I created the site. But I learned all I could about SEO and now I come up on the first page out of over 7 - 8 Million web pages.

Would I recommend it? Yes

But don't forget not only your on-page, but start your off-page SEO by building quality links to your site.

The "Google Lady" may be fickle at times and you might drop out of the search engine pages all together but don't give up.

banners
Back