The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Is my campaign in danger?

Blicktor

affiliate
Hi everyone

How do affiliates protect their campaigns from spy tools?

Any information (articles, videos, threads) would be highly appreciated

Thank you

Display ad creatives (banners,native[push?]) are by nature released in the wild by ad servers << these ads are gone once released.

Any pop, landing page or website can be somewhat protected by IP access;

I block every datacenter (server farm) by its assigned AS blocks in my webserver -- using a central allow and deny configuration.
I allow individual servers I need to transact with my webserver.

If the user-agent string has some 'undesirable reference' seobot, known scraper, unwanted bot, HEAD, curl, wget ...more ; I list it my bad_bots.conf and use an if clause in my Nginx virtual file configuration to map that file.
User agent strings are easy to forge -- I do it all the time --so this is only partially effective

If you haven't the skills and determination to make this work -- you can buy services that do this but they are expensive.

Some claim to use predictive heuristics matching human or machine website use. So they claim.

Sophisticated scrapers might be able to execute JavaScript some can't. PhantomJS and Headless Chrome (Puppeteer) can execute JavaScript.

If you publish anything to the Internet it may very well be ripped off.

Bob and Weave -- Whack-a-mole -- skin-a-cat <<<the beat just goes on
No easy answer.

So what do affiliates generally do to get around this problem? Especially those that don't know how to build their own servers :p

So in short - you can't stop people from seeing your ads on a public network

If that's the case - how do affiliates get an edge? What makes one more successful than the other?

Usually, they get their stuff copied I suppose.
Generally, they can't do anything.
Too bad there is no code of honor with regard to copying the work of another --but then there is not a note that hasn't been played in the past.
  • Copying ideas is fair game unless they are patented --then it's an issue for the Courts.
  • Copyright infringement is copying another person's work exactly as they created it.
  • There is much gray-area here especially when portions of ideas are combined to make new originally created content -- is the work substantially an infringement? Again, the Courts must decide this.

Cloaking can slow down your funnels getting picked up by spy tools, but eventually, the spy tools will pick up the funnel anyway. They use a lot of tricks to eventually get through you trying to block them.

Well, you don't make bank selling pencils in the computer age ...
Right place, with the right product/offer, at the right time -- while it is trending ...
The followers get the leftovers ...

MI
Back