The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

Is Adwords a good place to start ??

Carlsbiz

affiliate
Thanks for the tips.. :)

Sooo much info.. I didn?t understand allot of it..

Is Adwards a good place to start ?? I found the Keyword system a bit more complex than I imagined..

I did get some of the training offered in other threads.. And I will absorb as much s I can..

If it is a good place to start,, how do I use my hosted web site ??

Thanks,,, Carl...:eek:

I don't think Adwords is a good place to start. You can waste a lot of money if you don't know what you are doing.

1st place to start is to figure out the right niche. Something you know about thats not too competitive. Start with this article then read some of the other ones in the niche marketing section.

http://affiliate-marketing-forums.5...-small-earn-big-niche-marketing-insights.html

2nd step after you decide on a niche is keyword research. Whether you do Adwords or a regular site you need to know the best keywords to target. Lots of tools for keyword research in the niche section and the tools section.

Here is more detail from a recent post I wrote to someone else about the importance of finding the right niche.

The very 1st step to take is to find your NICHE! You need to find a subject, problem, solution, topic or product that people are interested in BUT that is not very competitive. The highest paying affiliate niches are very saturated and a newbie can't begin to compete.

I know you have lots of life experience in lots of areas. Dig DEEP within yourself. What are you interested in? What do you know a lot about? Then dig deeper.

VERY basic example (not very deep)

You like and know a lot about fishing. That's too broad. Go deeper, types of fish, types of fishing (fly, lake, deep sea), then go even deeper to find a very specific niche that people search for but not a lot of people are advertising about. Then find an affiliate program that sells a product that fits your niche or solves a problem within your niche.

That's just to get started BECAUSE it's easiest to start with something you know about and are passionate about. You'll need to write articles, blog, market so helps to know the niche. AND finding a niche that isn't too competitive to start with will make it easier to compete for traffic - ALTHOUGH you may not make lots of money on a small niche.

BUT if you start with a big competitive niche like real estate, insurance or computers you will never get any traffic and just give up.

So think niche and start small then as you learn you can branch out.

Great advice, Linda. I wouldn't recommend starting there either. Heck, I've been doing this affiliate marketing thing for 9 years and STILL don't do much PPC.

But if you ever decide to advertise with AdWords, I would make sure you buy a book written by someone who has learned to master AdWords first. (Clickbank has tons of them) That way you can at least learn some tips from people who are actually making a profit from it.

But yes, I'm all about finding that niche. If you do it right, you'll get so much free search engine traffic you may find you don't need to explore PPC.

Adwords will bring you traffic and google will bill you for it.

When I "jumped in" I found this out very quickly.

I also found out that I wasn't set up to deal with this traffic.
(I was direct linking to clickbank products)

This resulted in most of the benefits of going to the product owner,
e.g: A buyers name on his "buyers list"

And if I was lucky I got commission on the sale.

I got my fingers burnt, but loved the lessons.

I'd recommend first decide what you want to do with the traffic that you will get from a successful campaign.

In doing that take into consideration different keywords will bring different kinds of traffic.

e.g a keyword like: "buy adwords ebook now" will bring different traffic than a keyword like: "make money".

What I mean buy this is the first searcher is sitting there with a loaded credit card the second one is looking for information first.

Get clear on what kind of traffic you are going for and set yourself up for it.

There are plenty of marketers out there in adwords land that could afford to take a loss on the first sale, but capture a buyers name and make it back down the track.

And the way I was set up the cost to compete with them wasn't viable.

But it is a great place to be, definitely good training for writing great copy,
4 lines to compel a person.

Before I started I spent a "fair" bit on adwords ebooks and learnt from them, some more than others.

Then the day comes when "you gotta just jump in."

In saying that I've jumped out for now, to set up some infrastructure.

quantumtiger- you have been learning quick!

I think the learning curve (i.e. loosing out) is necessary for you to harden a bit. It is essential in affiliate marketing.

I myself would never have tried something like Adwords until I had been around a while.

Carlsbiz- you have been given some good advice- just try not to get burned, read read and read before you start. And look for your niche and have a few options to fall back on.

If you do decide to use Adwords, definitely get Perry Marshalls Book "The definitive guide to Adwords"

You will be well ahead of the competition and will save yourself money and mucho frustration.

You should also consider alternative PPC providers like MSN which can be cheaper per click.

However, some think that the quality of clicks is not as high as Adwords, but this will all depend on your niche and campaign.

Good luck!

You should also consider alternative PPC providers like MSN which can be cheaper per click.

However, some think that the quality of clicks is not as high as Adwords, but this will all depend on your niche and campaign.

Good luck!

That's very interesting. I haven't tried my hand at MSN yet but I've heard tell that those that use MSN to browse are more likely to be "buyers" that those that use Google. Like you said, it probably depends on what you're promoting.

Yahoo is another way to go, but it can be frustrating to wait for their ad approval process.

There are other books written that will help you understand adwords and how to use them. FYI. Adwords is a service provided by Google. Adwords are effective because your ads are targeted.

Understand that everytime someone clicks an ad that person who placed the ad is charged a fee by Google. It is called CPC (cost-per-click). Still, using adwords can be sucessful when promoting your niche, if you know what you are doing. You must be able to see the big picture.

There is a book by Peter Kent called 'Search Engine Optimization For Dummies,' (2nd Edition) or 'Building Your Business with Google For Dummies' wrtten by Brad Hill.

I am a Google fan and the second book was especially helpful.

lotsoflove

I don't recommend Adwords for newbies.

Once you are ready to try it however before you spend a dime buying some ebook to learn it, realize Adwords offers all kinds of training programs and videos on almost every aspect for free. So don't overlook that training. If you can't find all of it just ask and I'll go try to find it for you.

I think Adwords feature isn't easy enough to a newbie. More good if they used by a senior marketer. In my opinion, YSM feature is more easy so if you a newbie you need to learn about YSM first or others PPC for then learn about Adwords. If you don't unusual to use it, you'll get anything unless a loss. Of course it depend on type of your site.

I started on adwords as a newbie and did better towards the beginning than i am doing now. Things have changed i suppose. Overall, its been a good ride.

I did find that keywords on yahoo were more expensive than on adwords. I've yet to try msn or any others.

banners
Back