The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Information about the laws and regulations that apply to affiliate marketing

Hey guys,

can you help me with the legalities of operating an online business?

do you have any information about the laws and regulations that apply to starting an affiliate marketing business? I'm in Canada, so it might be a little different, but I think in general it's the same idea...

or can you refer me to some ressources that explain the laws and regulations...

for instance, do I need a Resale certificate for affiliate marketing?

second, the whole employee forms idea is a little confusing. I'll be my only employee, and didn't know I have to fill out all these forms for tax purposes I guess.
Can someone explain that part to me?

And, finally, do I need a Federal Tax Identification Number if I am my only employee?

As an affiliate marketer, you are a self-employed freelancer and you have a simple form to fill to declare your income tax. I don't know which form it is exactly (I'm in France) but I know it's pretty easy to set up. :)

You just need to follow the guidelines for Quebec regarding self-employed non-incorporated individuals. See self-employment in Quebec - taxes and forms - Bing= for more information.

As far as I know, you do not have to acquire a GST number unless you're earning more than $30,000 from self-employment, but in most cases you will still be required to pay GST and I suspect PST on any sales of good or services.

MI
Back