The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

I'm so confused

TeresaC

affiliate
Not really sure if this should be here or in the blogging forum but here goes:

I'm working on a shoestring budget of $0. Yep - trying to start from scratch with no money. I've chosen my niche, started writing some articles and here's where I get lost. I see that a good place to start that's recommend is blogger or wordpress blogs. I'm leaning more towards wordpress until I just read that wordpress doesn't like e-commerce types of sites. So how does one promote an affiliate product without getting zapped?

My articles are informative and basically will employ a call to action type of message where the reader will want to purchase but if I can't put a paypal button or 2checkout link then how is it done?

I've been reading over the posts here and I think I'm just confusing myself even more so I thought it's best to ask. Sorry if I put this in the wrong place Linda. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Start off with a squidoo lens or perhaps a blogger.com blog. Build a nice informative page that solves some problem that people have. Put your affiliate links on it.

Then start driving traffic to it by writing and submitting as many articles as you possibly can. Get backlinks by commenting on blogs too.

And I mean A LOT. 5 or 10 articles pointing to your lens ain't gonna cut it.

Sorry Teresa, I started to answer this earlier and then suddenly was called away to help take my grand daughter to the ER and was there all night waiting to get her little head stitched up.

Too tired to type much except to say that you must have been talking about hosted Wordpress. The Wordpress most here use including me is the software with your own host and there are no limitations like the ones you mentioned.

Curious though. You are an affiliate, right? Why do you need a paypal button or 2checkout link. Do you also sell your own product or something. Sorry I'm tired and maybe missed something. :eek:

Welcome Teresa.

You can get free hosting from several places, just do a google search. Once you get established you can get paid hosting which is better. ( no ads)

Currently there are many sites advertising hosting from around $3.50 a month.

Some people start out just article writing and submitting their articles with the affiliate link in the bio box. But as said previously you need to just keep submitting loads of articles to many companies.

Good luck :)

Sorry Teresa, I started to answer this earlier and then suddenly was called away to help take my grand daughter to the ER and was there all night waiting to get her little head stitched up.

Too tired to type much except to say that you must have been talking about hosted Wordpress. The Wordpress most here use including me is the software with your own host and there are no limitations like the ones you mentioned.

Curious though. You are an affiliate, right? Why do you need a paypal button or 2checkout link. Do you also sell your own product or something. Sorry I'm tired and maybe missed something. :eek:

What I was meaning by Wordpress was to use it similar to blogger.com where they host it for free. But according to what I had read on the free hosting is where they frown upon e-commerce and just using it to promote affiliate links.

I think I confused the two when I mentioned paypal as well but eventually when I get to the point where I have my own domain, hosting, etc and start to promote my own ebook then I will have freedom to put a paypal/etc link up because it will be my own place.

I'm very sorry to here your granddaughter was injured and required stitches. I hope she's ok.

Rob - thanks for the insight into multiple articles. Currently I have 15 and am still planning on writing even more.

Sandi - hosting is not an issue as I have a friend who's going to give me a good rate it's just the domain purchase and all that I'm limited on at the moment. I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible route to see if it can be done and the steps I take (future ebook maybe? lol) and go from there.

Luckily I don't have my back against a wall and have money coming in from my job but like I stated, I'm trying to do this from the absolute bottom and work my way up.

Thanks to you all who replied. Very much appreciated.

namecheap.com has domains from less than $10.

It's closer to $3 if you use .info (which I don't recommend)

A domain is just 9.95 for an entire year, so if that's all that's holding you back and IF YOU ARE PRETTY CERTAIN you've picked a good niche, then I would not put content on a hosted service like blogger or Wordpress.org, I'd get my own domain and use Wordpress on my own host. Then you own and control everything but just as importantly the content you generate is helping to drive traffic to your own web property, you aren't doing all the work only to send traffic to someone else's domain.

Other thing to be aware of with WP.org they also don't allow affiliate links.

Hi TeresaC ,

I agree with what Rob is saying. You need to have a place where you drive your traffic. I use Blogger.com for my landing page. I also have an .info domain from GoDaddy which I use to forward my URL to my landing page. If I leave my url in an article then I use my forward url which points to my landing page. I hope that make sense? I know it can be a bit confusing until you have done it a time or two. But you won't learn it if you don't try right :)

You also want to get as many quality, related and relevant backlinks that you can. Keywords are also important to use in your articles and other backlinks.

Good luck and I hope this helps in some little way.

hmmm...if you have no money, perhaps you could join a site like associated content, which pays you for articles (into your paypal account). Just write 3-4 short 500 word articles and you should have enough to get your own domain.

As far as the paypal icon is concerned, all you need to do is go to the back office of your paypal account and build a button. It is all copy and paste from there.

It's not a matter of purchasing a domain as I can do that easily I am trying to make it work without going that route though to see if it could be done. Got to think about the potential of a marketable "ebook" in the future! lol

Thanks all. :)

Because they are substantially cheaper than other domain names and have come to be associated with throwaway domains frequently used by spammers and scammers. As a result, they tend to be flagged by many anti-spam systems and possibly given less weight by major search engines.

Oh no!!! My domain name is .info... I am far from a spammer/scammer and I dont want to be recognized as one!! I do use blogger which I have a subdomain.
Any suggestions?

RELAX! That is the first step.

Look, the downsides we mentioned are NOT make or break issues. They are "nice to haves" adn to my mind, certain worth the extra $6 when you register a domain.

However, I would personally be inclined to get a .com and switch the content to the .com then put 301 redirects on your .info to point at the .com

JCorkern might be a better poster to ask about the seo of this specific scenario though.

Agreed. If the .com is not available, try for .org or .net (or even .us although that's not as attractive). If none are available, try the hyphenated versions (freebie-deals). And then use 301 redirects as Ron indicated.

I say just always get a .com I think they are easy to find and I can almost always find a good one. I just recently launched a new site and found 10 really good ones in my niche and had to ask people to help me decide which was best. All good dictionary word domains with no dashes and VERY brandable.

If you can't find what you want with dashes try something like adding a 4 or my in front.
4freebiedeals.com and myfreebiedeals.com are both available. :) They aren't the greatest maybe,
but better than .info and just a quick example.

Now for resale value adding length or adding a number reduces value a tad. But I think you'll lose more by people typing your name with a .com and going to the wrong site plus all the other things the guys mentioned above.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

banners
Back