The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

If You HAD to Start Over - What would you do Different???

Hello everyone,

This is a great thread and if someone new was to read though everyones posts I am sure they would learn a lot that would help them in the beginning. I have always had a thirst for knowledge and in the beginning that was kind of my down fall. The internet is such a wonderful place to learn it is full of information on just about any topic you could ever imagine or even dream of.

Although, information overload is one of the biggest problems with people just starting out. I can surely say that I have been down that road. Being organized is another problem and goes hand in hand with the information overload. You have so many things and ideas running through your head that you don't know where to start and have so much information sitting on your hard drive you couldn't find it if you wanted to do anything with it to begin with.

I think it is easier in hind sight for me to say that even though I learned a lot from acting like a sponge while starting out, it didn't help me. I was so busy trying to learn everything, when what I needed to do was learn only what I needed to in order to get what I needed done and moving. The problem with information overload is that it paralyzes you from doing anything.

For me there is not 1 thing I would have done differently, but 3.

1. I would have used a blueprint, a plan of action, a map, whatever you need to call it to get yourself going in the right direction.

2. I would focus on one project at a time and learn only what I needed to in order to get that one project moving.

3. I would have completed that one project before moving on to another project.

I like to think of it as if I wanted to build a house. I need a plan in order to do it right. That is where the blueprint comes in to play. Without the blueprint where do you start? You build one house at a time and soon you will have a city. If you try to build the city first you will never have a house. You will be to busy wondering what to do, you won't be able to do anything.

Great Thread. I am glad I could get all of that off my chest. I feel so much better now hee... hee...

Take Care Everyone,

Link Master

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of Great posts here..

I would have Made a review of all the programs I got into and pointed out the flaws. Than just stook to the niches I felt comfortable with. A few years back I must have jumped from niche to niche to niche. I felt like a yo-yo.

My advice to all. Pick 1-2 Niches and become an expert at it. Look at magazines or just go back to when you were a kid and find out what your passion was then and monotize on that...

What I would do differently if I had to start all over?

Well, I did start over. I was doing things very quickly, setting up everything with poor planning. I was hitting so I thought it was ok but when I got leads, I didn?t know what to do next. I didn?t have any prewritten emails in my autoresponder, I didn?t know what to use for back-end selling, etc. You've guessed it - I was stuck for a while.:eek:

Now, I did it in a slower pace, with more focus and realistic goals. I realized I just can?t become successful doing things without Proper Planning.;)

I think many people may have started without good planning so this might bring good advice to them.:)

I would have stayed away for numerous mlm's I joined. Being scammed is the worse thing ever but learning from them is priceless......YOU WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN....lol...lesson learned.

I would have stayed away for numerous mlm's I joined. Being scammed is the worse thing ever but learning from them is priceless......YOU WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN....lol...lesson learned.

You are right. You get better and smarter learning, then, you know what to do next time... :)

Sort of the affiliate marketing version of "what does not kill you makes you stronger"? :)

I am just starting out and have spent the better part of the last 3 months just learning. I haven't picked my first program yet, but a niche it will be...something I am passionate about. Thank you for the great wealth of knowledge you shared. It confirmed some of my beliefs and gave me some new ones.

Hi Everyone

"What would I have done Different":eek: well I would have learned how to put up a squeeze page for my niche market a lot sooner:D

We are told that you do not need a website to make money online,maybe you don't however you do need to build a list to make automated big money online.
We hear so often the money is in the list, how true:eek:

Take for example any big company offline offer Loyalty cards so that they can capture your details and spending habits so they can plan their Marketing Stratergy:)

Makes sense, took me a while to realise this:eek: anyway thats in the past now.

To all our Success
Ian

great post... if i was to do it all over again.. oh yes i would change many things... some stuff didnt work for me at all why others turned out to be a great success...

I would start getting customer feedback right away from surveys and forms. I would also pay more attention to analytics and converting the traffic I did have rather than driving poorly converting traffic.

"Don't let fear of the unknown hold you back from doing something you feel certain would help your business. Contract it out if you have to, but get moving if you are sure it's the right thing."

Yea it needs a nerve of steel to be a good marketer or merchant...

GREAT Thread for newbies. I'm fairly new to the game, but the one thing I would have done differently in the beginning would have been to better build the infrastructure of the business. Develop a business name, Set up a separate email account for business purposes and site registrations, find more forums like this to learn from before starting etc. As stated previously, you have to think of this as you would any other business. A well thought out business plan would surely be helpful including things like a mission statement and exit strategy.

Hi Brasco, good point!

But actually this 24 page thread contains some of the most important lessons in affiliate marketing. Learning what to avoid by learning from other's mistakes will help newbie affiliates get further faster. That's why this thread is so valuable and one of the most popular threads on the forum.

Have you read it? There are some really good insights in here and I bet if you answered the question you could teach us a thing or two as well. :p

Agreed Linda!

Learning from peers is absolutely necessary to help us individually grow. I just get that feeling to make mention because I don't like to hold any regrets to what I've done in my career.

I will peruse the backlog of the thread for sure.

Hey Linda, thanks for the post. If you ask me, I would say I dont want to start over again because I feel whatever I did while this course of time was in short "fun and learning".

I was totally in a different niche when I started on the net. Inventually I learned a lot of different niches, blogging, internet marketing, making money and this is where the funandlearning process started.
Overall I will say, I had a wonderful experience ;)

If I had to start over I would join forums like this, and the bans forum and the associate-o-matic forum and spend at least a couple of months reading, digesting and making notes on everything before even making a start, rather than just jumping from one idea to another with no clear plan of action.

banners
Back