The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

I need Some Sound Advice!!!!!!

shuvayu001

affiliate
Well I am new out here. Have been into SEO/SEM for the last 18 months or so and I do have a sound knowledge regarding the trade,though there is a query I would want to have clarified. When it comes to the SERP (Search Engine Ranking Positions), why do the rankings differ for the same keyword in different Search Engines. Like say for a keyword in Google, I rank in the third place in the first page, where as I don't rank in the first 50 searches for the same keyword in Yahoo or MSN. I agree that the web-crawlers for Google are in the form of Spiders that operate under a set of complex algorithms, but then is this the only reason for the results to vary so much. Moreover this isn't the case for one keyword only..infact this is happening for 10-15 prime keywords that I am targetting for rankings in Google, Yahoo and MSN. I am getting the desired rankings in Google, but for Yahoo and MSN, I am helpless....Need advice....

Thanks in Advance.....

Every search engine does have a different algo. The best way to find out what you need for a particular engine is do a backlink check on the top sites that you find in that particular engine, then find similar sites to aquire links from.

MSN and Yahoo still like the link exchange system. The relevence factor in MSN and Yahoo is a lot less stressed in their algos, they seem to like a better diversity of URLs and IP addresses than Google.

They tend to crawl link pages better than Google also, but since Google will punish you for link exchanges, you would be better off adding your site to directories that you find in the backlinks of the other top sites in yahoo and MSN.

So, to directly answer your question, yes they are that different. Go spy on your competitors and find out where they get their links from in these search engines, then find like sites or even the same ones if you can.

backlink check

Hey J,

I'm not an seo guy, but what is the search that you do to find the back links? I seem to remember that it's a pretty simple google search function, but don't recall exactly.

For google it is link: then the full url including http://

for Yahoo you can use the same method. Some use linkdomain: then the url, but it is not needed since that command shows anything that contains url, which may or may not be an active link.

MSN is this: www.yoursite.com -domain:www.yoursite.com

Thanks I knew this was the most reliable SEO community in the net. Will definitely do the needful and keep the updates going.

Regards

These days i have heard that Yahoo and Google are sharing information to give users better search result ,so u can expect similar result in the future for same keywords although there always be a slight difference

Last edited by a moderator:
MI
Back