The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

how to master copywriting?

Search the internet for the Gary Halbert Letter website. There is a letter called Hands on Experience. Search for it. I can't post links yet.

To summarize the letter:
  • Read the list of books Gary recommends. They are:
    • "Scientific Advertising" -by Claude Hopkins
    • "The Robert Collier Letter Book" -by Robert Collier
    • "Tested Advertising Methods" -by John Caples
    • "How To Write A Good Advertisement" -by Victor Schwab
    • "The Gary Halbert Letter" (all back issues) -by Gary Halbert
    • "The Boron Letters" -by Gary Halbert
    • "Break-Through Advertising" -by Eugene M. Schwartz
I personally never read these, but Gary also recommends them:​
  • "7-Steps To Freedom" -by Ben Suarez
  • "The Lazy Man's Way to Riches" -by Joe Karbo
  • Copy (handwrite or type) the sales letters Gary recommends you copy. Read the article to get the list.
  • Reread the books Gary recommends. Take lots of notes.
  • Write out a stack of headlines. Gary recommends specific periodicals, but you can probably supplement that with clickbait leadlines from places like Buzzfeed, TMZ, etc.
  • Write your first ad
Seems like lots of work, but it's a relatively fast and mechanical way to. Also, note this was written in either the 80s or 90s, so the parts about going to a typist and getting your copy typeset obviously no longer applies.

Best thing about the Gary Halbert Letter website... it's free. A great dedication to a truly great man.

Just write. I have one simple thing which is really briliat: before writing call you friend and tell him or her the topic you are going to cover. Record your story. Then type it and edit. Congrads - you have a good story! This is because many people are confused by a white paper; they start to think, to imagine something. Just be honest and sincere - this is the main secret of master copywriting!

About technical things, take a look at what is hypnotic writing and hypnotic words, and also storytelling.

Just write. I have one simple thing which is really briliat: before writing call you friend and tell him or her the topic you are going to cover. Record your story. Then type it and edit. Congrads - you have a good story! This is because many people are confused by a white paper; they start to think, to imagine something.

I disagree.

This is decent advice for "writing like you speak" - which is a step in the right direction, and perhaps enough for content writing, but if you're struggling with that aspect... you may want to reconsider your path. Effective copywriting takes a lot more thinking and structure.

Just be honest and sincere - this is the main secret of master copywriting!

Being honest and sincere won't get you all the way there, either.

Look at the most successful controls. Most are ghost-written or written from the perspective of someone who doesn't actually exist (they're usually written from the perspective of a fellow consumer - not a sincere copywriter).

I'm 100% not suggesting lying, but creatively working in a powerful angle that resonates with your target's worldview will consistently trump the casual, unrefined, lackadaisical story you tell your friends. There's a bit of deception involved - but it should always tie in to a genuine, valuable product/offering. No halfway-decent business has ever been built on burning people. That's not what I'm talking about.

If your horse is thirsty, lead it to the water... then trick it into drinking. Everyone wins.

This is because many people are confused by a white paper; they start to think, to imagine something.

I don't know why you list that as a negative. Your paper should stay blank for a long time (aside from the pages of notes you should be taking). Get the idea right before doing anything. Thinking and imagining are critical to successful copy.

About technical things, take a look at what is hypnotic writing and hypnotic words, and also storytelling.

I'm not following you here. What are "hypnotic words"?

I've seen courses advertised on that topic. I think Steve Jones and Joe Vitale offer one. I've no idea of the course content but I imagine it's NLP, or something similar.

Yeah, sounds like NLP or "power words"... I haven't heard it referred to by that name. Still feels like a shiny object/tactic, which so often get misused when they're relied on rather than used as a supplement. I haven't done much study on that side of copywriting/persuasion - there might be something to it. But a quick search turns up numbers in the hundreds:

"317 Power Words That'll Instantly Make You a Better Writer"

"Turbo-Charge Your Marketing with 390+ Power Words"

"700+ Power Words That Will Boost Your Conversions"

Are we supposed to memorize them all and sprinkle them willy-nilly throughout our text? I have a feeling most copywriters already use "hypnotic words" without knowing it.

That gives me a new eBook idea:

"These are the 171,476 INCREDIBLY EFFECTIVE WORDS you NEED to be able to persuade ANYONE of ANYTHING!*"
Once You Learn These
100% Unique Hypnotic Power Words
You'll Be Amazed At How You
Can't Stop Using Them...
Even Without Trying!

(*Some assembly required)

Okay, I'll dig a bit further... and ah-ha! Here's a fair result. Kissmetrics has narrowed it down to three. I can stomach that. They are:

**- Imagine**
**- You**
**- Because**

Of course, you have to use them properly, because otherwise they won't work. And... when you read the article... you can imagine many scenarios in which different words are used to the same effect. It's not the word itself, it's the message it conveys to the reader - these "power words" are just the most subconscious/least obvious way to do it, which is usually best (nobody likes thinking they're being tricked).

If you can imagine better words, they would work, because it's really a fundamental that's doing the work - not the shiny object(s).

Because you using shiny objects helps others imagine it's easy to write copy.

You - imagine. Because. Imagine, because... you.

You.

Am I doing it right? :)

I've studied about copywriting a bit at the university. The most important factor is not to give in to the routine and strive to retain the creativity. Therefore try not to overwork on a day to day, concentrate on quality instead.

Yeah, sounds like NLP or "power words"... I haven't heard it referred to by that name. Still feels like a shiny object/tactic, which so often get misused when they're relied on rather than used as a supplement. I haven't done much study on that side of copywriting/persuasion - there might be something to it. But a quick search turns up numbers in the hundreds:

"317 Power Words That'll Instantly Make You a Better Writer"

"Turbo-Charge Your Marketing with 390+ Power Words"

"700+ Power Words That Will Boost Your Conversions"

Are we supposed to memorize them all and sprinkle them willy-nilly throughout our text? I have a feeling most copywriters already use "hypnotic words" without knowing it.

That gives me a new eBook idea:

"These are the 171,476 INCREDIBLY EFFECTIVE WORDS you NEED to be able to persuade ANYONE of ANYTHING!*"
Once You Learn These
100% Unique Hypnotic Power Words
You'll Be Amazed At How You
Can't Stop Using Them...
Even Without Trying!

(*Some assembly required)

Okay, I'll dig a bit further... and ah-ha! Here's a fair result. Kissmetrics has narrowed it down to three. I can stomach that. They are:

**- Imagine**
**- You**
**- Because**

Of course, you have to use them properly, because otherwise they won't work. And... when you read the article... you can imagine many scenarios in which different words are used to the same effect. It's not the word itself, it's the message it conveys to the reader - these "power words" are just the most subconscious/least obvious way to do it, which is usually best (nobody likes thinking they're being tricked).

If you can imagine better words, they would work, because it's really a fundamental that's doing the work - not the shiny object(s).

Because you using shiny objects helps others imagine it's easy to write copy.

You - imagine. Because. Imagine, because... you.

You.

Am I doing it right? :)

I somehow missed this at the time you wrote it. Love it!

To answer a couple of your questions, Ben...

- Yes, you should probably memorize all four billion hypnotic power words. Not to worry though, since once you do, you'll be bandying them around with wild abandon, totally unconsciously. Plus, you'll get rich while doing so.

- Yes, I believe you are doing it correctly. How big are the cheques that must be rolling in to you by now?

:D:D:D

I think copywriting comes from within. It's mostly a natural talent of those people who always use good words even when they are talking in real.
They just polish it further.

If you feel you're a writer, you'd definitely become one.

I disagree, somewhat. I replied to another thread on this same topic. You can use basic character types and storylines to promote anything without being a natural writer. You just have to know the archetypes. For example, one storyline that is probably familiar is "I have a secret". It might go something like this: " I've got a secret. Did you know that some people sell and make money all day long, and other people no matter what they do, now matter how hard they try, can't seem to make a dime on the internet. You know what. There's a secret to all of this..." There are basically 3 character types and 5 storylines. Pretty cool stuff once you master them.

1. Try to write everyday for at least an hour.
2. Write for people, not search engines.
3. Don't stuff your writing with tons of promotions.
4. Read blogs that write on similar topics that you do and monitor which of their articles gets most attention from the readers. Try to inherit some of their style (but not all).
5. A bit contradictory to the previous point, but still - be unique. No one is interested in reading regurgitated information.
6. Don't forget to add visuals to your writings.
7. Before starting to write, make a plan/outline of what you are going to write.
8. Writing is editing, so allocate some time to edit&proofread. It's better to do this next day with a fresh mind.

As for the sources, read blogs like Moz, SearchEngineJournal, BlogStorm, Kissmetrics, Content Marketing Institute, etc.

Awesome guide. I can add a site which is: problogger. Thanks

read a lot stuff about copywriting and belles-lettres books - once you learn how to put something difficult into simple words - you'll progress in copywriting

banners
Back