The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

How to get an active community

isuit21

affiliate
To get an active community you should be posting more than 10 posts daily and probably even invite some friends over. Of course some of them may not be interested in your niche and therefore you will need to find other people on internet. I suggest using other promotional forums or social networks to your advantage. There you can ask people for post exchanges or even recruit people as moderators.

Being unique is the key to success in online communities

The underlying theme of everything I have written so far: do what other online communities aren’t doing. You need to be more involved. You need to encourage interaction by making your members feel valued. You need to make it impossible for them to resist getting involved and contributing content. According to the 90-9-1 principle ‘in action’:

"167,113 of Amazon’s book reviews were contributed by just a few ‘top-100′ reviewers.
Over 50% of all the Wikipedia edits are done by just .7% of the users – 524 people".

Making the forum unique is a bit hard to do though. I have a tech forum myself and its a pain to make users active. I get to convince them to visit for awhil and participate but leave after few posts. I somehow manage to lure some SEOs to posts thigns inside becuase the site is PR3 adn of course they want a link inside lol.

Posting 10 posts a day, ain't enough to cut it. You have to promote your forum, and get other members to join the forum. Posting on empty forums is never good. You'll need to do post exchanges or pay forum posters, either one works.

Posting 10 posts a day, ain't enough to cut it. You have to promote your forum, and get other members to join the forum. Posting on empty forums is never good. You'll need to do post exchanges or pay forum posters, either one works.

Yeah, 10 really isn't enough. I suppose if there aren't any other members there, then you don't have to post as much until they start showing up. You've really gotta push both content and new memberships, though.

It's not fun in the beginning and it's easy to get discouraged. It helps if you're active on other sites and people get to know your character, good things happen in time from just being active, but at first, yeah - no fun.

I recommend you alternate between creating new posts one day and getting backlinks to those posts from site you interact with the next. If you have no incoming links to internal pages then those tend to get ignored by G. Sadly.

I hate to recommend this, but something you can do is get a bunch of like minded folks from a board you're already on and start a new one. This is how I started my first forum. It was on a Star Wars board and we were pretty fed up with the rough moderation so I suggested starting our own. Took about two dozen people with me at first.

Eeks, while it *may* work to do that tommy it can also backfire on your bigtime. You only get one shot at building a good rep and if members of the older board don't like you for trying to steal members, or even if they just don't like you, they won't ever let ANYONE forget that you tried to steal their members.

I've seen this come back and haunt a would-be forum seller, the buyers didn't want the bad publicity.

I hate to recommend this, but something you can do is get a bunch of like minded folks from a board you're already on and start a new one. This is how I started my first forum. It was on a Star Wars board and we were pretty fed up with the rough moderation so I suggested starting our own. Took about two dozen people with me at first.

The chance of success with that is really only high if the first site truly sucks (whether it's moderation, lack of control, not enough members, etc) *and* you're such a great member that people will be willing to follow. It still can fail, but if you've got that initial group, you have a headstart compared to everyone else just starting off.

I started a forum a few years back in a small niche, and the best way I could find to grow it was to fake it. Other people, even close friends, are just too unreliable, and when they drop you your site loses momentum and all is lost.

I'd trawl other forums, sites and had quite a few news alerts set up. Then every time I found new content I'd post it to the forum under one of about 100 fake accounts that I had set up. It's quite important to re-write every post in your own words and not just copy-paste.

I'd bring over entire discussions this way with faked date stamps and all, and had personalities worked out for each of my dummy accounts.

I had to keep this up almost full-time for over 3 months before the real posts outnumbered my fakes and the forum gained it's own momentum.

It's too much work for me to ever do it this way again, but it worked well.

100 accounts? Holy cow, that's a lot. It's quite common to have fake accounts but that just seems like so many to try to keep up with. How much time did you spend on the site everyday?

I would say if you could try and stay on top of timely topics related to your niche and possibly start threads about them with some useful information, that might be a good way to attract new users. For example, if Adobe is going to launch a new version of their CS suite and you've been using the beta, it would be a good idea to start some threads about the new features in the upcoming application, so when it does launch and people start looking for assistance there's a possibility they will find your site first and register to keep receiving more updates.

Promotion, design, content.
Promotion is the most important thing because if you don't have new members, your forum will never be a community. Design is another important thing because it attracts more visitors. If a forum doesn't have a good design, the guests won't register. Finally, content of course. If your forum doesn't have topics/posts ( with quality ) your members will get bored and they will never visit your forum again.

I had a gaming forum for about 1 year and it seemed every time i got a active member after about 30 posts he would just leave and never come back to the forum as he seemed not entertained but i was on freeforums and it was hard to have unique features.

And I think the content and the community in itself should be relevant to the users or the target audience. I might sign up for a community but remain inactive in it if I don't see anything valuable in my participation. You can only make me come back if there's value in it.

And I think the content and the community in itself should be relevant to the users or the target audience. I might sign up for a community but remain inactive in it if I don't see anything valuable in my participation. You can only make me come back if there's value in it.

I agree with this if someone likes for example graphics you need to make your site graphics related and make it good for them to join like technology basically everyone loves technology so its a great site to have.

I believe as long as you have fresh, engaging and useful content in your site, then you community is always going to be active, but just regurgitating what some other site is doing, might get your community active, but not as active as you would want it to be.

MI
Back