The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

How to Bot Test?

TrafficYoda

Hello, I can see that bot test is something i must do before running advetisement but how do u do it?
Bots are so smart these days i wanna know what kind of script do you use to get rid of bot traffic

Hey there @TrafficYoda!

Your question is really open-ended, so I'd like the opportunity to clarify your setup first.

Most importantly in this equation is what sort of tech are you using to protect your campaigns from bots?
Have you invested in a tracking platform or a 3rd party bot filtering software?
Are you looking to try and accomplish filtering without the help of a 3rd party platform?

Cheers,

Hey there @TrafficYoda!

Your question is really open-ended, so I'd like the opportunity to clarify your setup first.

Most importantly in this equation is what sort of tech are you using to protect your campaigns from bots?
Have you invested in a tracking platform or a 3rd party bot filtering software?
Are you looking to try and accomplish filtering without the help of a 3rd party platform?

Cheers,

Well i do use a tracker but native advertisement has a lot of bots. no traffic has no bots so i need something to show me the % of the bot.

If you don't care about SEO render the whole page with a JavaScript. That will stop *most* dumb-bots. That is probably the easiest way. If you want to do better set a cookie and retrieve it -- then render the entire page in JavaScript :)

Most bots "choke" on cookies ...

Okay so the whole page with javascript. is there a script that u recommend me to use? (not a coder but i can research!)

setting cookies, is there a tutorial u recommend me to use? :/

Use a *pre-lander* with a link to the real lander for the best filtering -- bots (most) will not execute JavaScript -- they may not see the link in the JavaScript. If you cannot code you are at a handicap.
The right way is a PHP (or other interpreter language) script that retrieves a cookie that you set on the pre-lander before rendering the code dynamically for the real landing page that is counted. Then the code is held server-side and never exposed to bots or anyone not accepting cookies. Since most affiliate sales are still cookie based -- it matters.

HTML:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>

<script>
document.write('webpage code here');
</script>

</body>
</html>

Everything inside the the body tags only. <<<View source copy <<<that and just paste the code then test it.

Start with this you may not really need a cookie ;)

U are awesome! I will definantly do this. So Real Traffic % will be Clicks Through/Total Click.

Another option to consider is Thrive's 30-day free trial. Pick any of our cloud plans and you can run your campaigns worry-free. All you need to do is activate our build-in Bot Filter and let it do its job.

The trial is free, so there's no risk involved, but you'll instead be able to gather direct insight on each click from these bots (we have separate reporting for all filtered clicks) and then you can gather those Widget IDs that are religiously receiving bot traffic. From there, filter them out at the traffic source level and enjoy the rest for yourself!

I'm not sure who you use for tracking right now or if you're interested in split-testing it with ThriveTracker, but it is an option that is very friendly to your situation, so I feel it's something you could benefit from!

Any questions about it, let me know!

Cheers,

Another option to consider is Thrive's 30-day free trial. Pick any of our cloud plans and you can run your campaigns worry-free. All you need to do is activate our build-in Bot Filter and let it do its job.

The trial is free, so there's no risk involved, but you'll instead be able to gather direct insight on each click from these bots (we have separate reporting for all filtered clicks) and then you can gather those Widget IDs that are religiously receiving bot traffic. From there, filter them out at the traffic source level and enjoy the rest for yourself!

I'm not sure who you use for tracking right now or if you're interested in split-testing it with ThriveTracker, but it is an option that is very friendly to your situation, so I feel it's something you could benefit from!

Any questions about it, let me know!

Cheers,
I am using funnelflux as tracker, will it work with funnelflux?
how effect is the bot filter?

Thrive's Bot Filter will only work with Campaigns built within Thrive. We update our filters monthly to keep on top of the latest identified bots and bot ISPs. Our users have seen impressive success when employing this feature for their campaigns.

This is why I encourage the use of our trial. Push one or two campaigns through the trial, employing the native sources, and then see the effects for yourself. If it works the way you need it to, maybe it's the right move to make a move. If not, you know it's not a solution for you and you didn't lose money over it.

Just a thought! ;)

banners
Back