The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

How much traffic does your site get?

DrMarie

affiliate
I have been posting in forums like crazy and have managed to increase my traffic from about 30-40 people per day up to 80-100 per day.

But I hear numbers of people having sites attracting thousands of visitors per day. Do any of you guys have one of these sites?

It really depends on the site and the potential audience for the site. My forum attracts more than 1000 visitors per day (that doesn't include bots and logged in members).

Minstrel...did it take you a long time to get up to that level of traffic? Does most of your traffic come from search?

Yes, it built over time. I launched the forum in March 2004 so it's almost 6 years old. For major search phrases, it has ranked in the top 2-5 pretty consistently for about 3-4 years now.

I think a lot of traffic does come from search engines, primarily Google. I also get traffic comes from word of mouth referrals and links from other sites.

But like everything else on the net, it definitely takes patience and persistence.

Hi yea I have just created my site which has been getting around 10-20 views per day and it has not yet been indexed in google which I'm pretty mad about does anyone know how long this takes?? I have put up 7 articles so far about tips Search engine optimization and other topics. Its actually very informative and thats what I'm going for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been posting in forums like crazy and have managed to increase my traffic from about 30-40 people per day up to 80-100 per day.

But I hear numbers of people having sites attracting thousands of visitors per day. Do any of you guys have one of these sites?

Hello DrMarie :D

I think you'll have to use a combination of traffic strategies in a focused manner (i.e. a very specific plan) to get the number of visitors you're seeking.

But...

35 - 50 nicely targeted visitors a day, tracked and tested etc... to conversions...is better than 1000 a day with a .1% conversion etc...

Watch that you don't shift your focus away from conversions and relationships too much, it's a common mishap many make.

I've been at it for about a year now and admittedly haven't really been promoting as much as I could be. Traffic has been increasing slowly but steadily until just a few weeks ago when traffic doubled. Now that doesn't mean that I'm getting that many people. It means that instead of 20 per day I'm now getting 40 per day. I couldn't figure out why it suddenly jumped like that until just a few days ago. That's when I noticed that the bulk of the increased traffic was coming from China. I'd never noticed much traffic from China before. Has anyone else seen this?

I have some sites that attract under a hundred a day and then my best site with regards to traffic gets a few thousand a day

It really depends on the niche you are in and the keywords your sites rank for

I know, it sounds like I am saying SEO and yes I am. I just think it's a good way of getting long term traffic without having to post in forums everyday or endless bookmarking or whatever else it is that is trendy these days.

[I am not saying participating in the forums is bad, in fact I think it's a great thing. But one has got to be doing it for the right reasons i.e. sharing and gaining information]

To assess how you are doing on the traffic front, use Google keyword suggestion tool to find the demand of your keywords. So say Google keywords suggestion tool says your keyword is searched 20,000 times a day and you are only getting 10 visits, tells you you need to work harder. But there are some keywords that get only a handful of searches a day. You can't hope for many more visitors than there are people looking for your keyword term

oops I am getting long winded again.

Niche this is great advice! Thanks.

Here is my situation:

To assess how you are doing on the traffic front, use Google keyword suggestion tool to find the demand of your keywords. So say Google keywords suggestion tool says your keyword is searched 20,000 times a day and you are only getting 10 visits, tells you you need to work harder.

The main keyword phrase I am optimizing for is apparently searched >40,000 times per month globally. Sometimes when I enter this term in google my site is in the top 3. However, just now when I entered it I was on the middle of page 2. I only get about 2-3 hits per day on this keyword.

So, (and I know I've asked this before, but I am a glutton for more information) here is what I am doing to try to optimize for this keyword:
-I have added the keyword a few extra times on the landing page
-the keyword is in my title
-I am using this keyword phrase as anchor text in blog comments and forum comments

Anything else I can do?

Thanks!

Add in synonyms and related terms (so-called long tail keywords). Add in location terms (Ottawa, Ontario, etc.).

Get into the mind of a searcher. When someone doesn't find what he wants searching for "veterinarians", what does he do? He starts adding qulaifier words, like "veterinarians in Ottawa" or "veterinarians who work with cats" or something, as a way of narrowing down the list. Try to anticipate that and do some of the work for that searcher.

In the meantime, continue link building using the primary terms as anchor text when you can.

Some of the volatility in Google's search results right now are probably related to the Caffeine update. Sometimes you're accessing a Caffeine datacenter and sometimes a non-Caffeine datacenter. For many search terms, the results aren't all that different but in certain niches it seems it can make a big difference.

Interesting comment about caffeine, Minstrel. On my computer at work I am on page 2 for the keyword I would like to concentrate the most on. However, at home I am number 1! And again, I am only pulling in 2-3 visits a day out of 40000 per month that are searched.

I changed my meta description to see if that helps.

Interesting comment about caffeine, Minstrel. On my computer at work I am on page 2 for the keyword I would like to concentrate the most on. However, at home I am number 1! And again, I am only pulling in 2-3 visits a day out of 40000 per month that are searched.

Even from the same computer at the same location, at different times you can hit different datacenters, depending on internet traffic at that moment (Google does "load balancing" to distribute the load on its datacenters - if one gets too high, it will divert requests to another).

I changed my meta description to see if that helps.

That won't affect ranking, at least not directly. It may affect click-through rates though.

However, at home I am number 1! And again, I am only pulling in 2-3 visits a day out of 40000 per month that are searched.

I hate to suggest it Marie, but it could be that at home you are seeing "personalized" search results, tailored for you and since you check your site a lot it comes up #1 but really isn't #1 for other searchers. (SORRY, hope that's not the case!)

<a href="http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/personalized-search-for-everyone.html">Personalized Search for everyone</a>

Now when you search using Google, we will be able to better provide you with the most relevant results possible. For example, since I always search for [recipes] and often click on results from epicurious.com, Google might rank epicurious.com higher on the results page the next time I look for recipes. Other times, when I'm looking for news about Cornell University's sports teams, I search for [big red]. Because I frequently click on Cornell University, Google might show me this result first, instead of the Big Red soda company or others.

You'll know when we customize results because a "View customizations" link will appear on the top right of the search results page. Clicking the link will let you see how we've customized your results and also let you turn off this type of customization.

Good point, Linda - I'd forgotten about that because I have it turned off.

You'll know when we customize results because a "View customizations" link will appear on the top right of the search results page. Clicking the link will let you see how we've customized your results and also let you turn off this type of customization.

I hate to suggest it Marie, but it could be that at home you are seeing "personalized" search results, tailored for you and since you check your site a lot it comes up #1 but really isn't #1 for other searchers. (SORRY, hope that's not the case!)

Oh Linda! When I first read this my heart dropped because I realized that I truly wasn't number one. LOL! But, now I am excited because this means that I have room for improvement.

I was wondering why I was only getting 2-3 hits per day on that keyword when there >1300 searches per day for it.

So I will be working on more long tail keywords. However, I have set up a plan to do daily blog commenting, forum posting and article posting and I WILL be number one (or darn close to it).

I found a number of posts on how to turn off personalized search but was confused. The one that worked best for me was to search for my term and then in the url add &pws=0 and re-search again. This time I was the middle of page 2 for my term.

I will let you know when I am number one!

Relatively new site need time to build sufficient traffic. Below are the marketing method most people use.

Article marketing
Blogging
PPC
SEO
Forums
Social Bookmarking

And many more.

MI
Back