The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

How many pages must my website have in order to be considered an "authority site"?

OscarMike

Hi everyone, I'm interested in SEO as a way to get traffic to my site about woodworking.

Some people say that in order to be considered an authority site about a topic, my site must have at least 100 pages about the topic.

I've also read that the site actually needs to have 1000 pages in order to be considered an authority on the subject.

100 pages is less time consuming and cheaper than 1000 pages (if outsourcing the writing to a freelancer)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Maybe, if you published 100 pages of free plans for woodworking projects --you might become an authority site.

If it's 100 pages of word-soup about woodworking it will probably be seen as a page mill.

Hi everyone, I'm interested in SEO as a way to get traffic to my site about woodworking.

Some people say that in order to be considered an authority site about a topic, my site must have at least 100 pages about the topic.

I've also read that the site actually needs to have 1000 pages in order to be considered an authority on the subject.

100 pages is less time consuming and cheaper than 1000 pages (if outsourcing the writing to a freelancer)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
There are two types of authorities. Domain Authority (DA) and Page Authority (PA). None of both authorities depend on the number of pages you have in your site. Instead, they depend on your Search Engine Optimization (SEO).

Optimizing your domain for search engines include:

Finding and using your niche targeted, short and easy to remember domain name. At least not more than 14 characters.
It reduces the number of times people mistype your domain name and land on another website instead.

Getting backlinks from other authority websites in your niche with already higher link than your DA through guest posts and more. It tells Google that your site is also important as those sites based on recommendation and gradually your DA increases from that.

Hosting your website for longer period at a go, for example 4 years or more, instead of 1 year. It tells Google that your website is here to stay and it helps increase your ranking higher than new similar websites like yours hosted for less number of years.

Running your website for multiple years. The longer your website is online and active, the more your DA ranking increased. Whether hosted on a go, or renewed every year, it don't matter.

Optimizing your page for search engines include:

Doing keyword research
to find out the keywords with less ranking difficulty that you can easily rank for and attract more visitors to your...

Choosing a focus keyword for each of your posts and ensuring you don't repeat focus keywords you have used before in your other posts.

Including your focus keyword in the title of your blog post, your meta description, and in some of the sub-headings of your blog post.

Using shorter and more precise titles. Adding the year of the post could help but don't over do it or use it on all your posts.

Writing each of your blog posts to be over 300 words. The bigger, could be the better if it offers more value.

Including images to enhance your blog posts and adding alternative texts to the images so users and Google know what should have been there even if the image is missing for any reason.

Adding tags related to your post on the tags section.

There are more, but doing these on all your 100 posts, can surely help your site rank up within some time.

Maybe, if you published 100 pages of free plans for woodworking projects --you might become an authority site.

If it's 100 pages of word-soup about woodworking it will probably be seen as a page mill.
Thanks for the reply Graybeard. Do you know of any browser extension that analyzes how many pages a site has? I would like to analyze a competitor's site and see the statistics. Thanks.

Do you know of any browser extension that analyzes how many pages a site has?
No.

But if you did a recursive curl and in place of scraping the page --made a count++ file you could theoretically just count the pages from the root index of each file.

note: the specificity of the prompts {I know what I want}

curl-count01.jpg

curl-count02.jpg

curl-count03.jpg

curl-count04.jpg

doomer.jpg

Developers pay attention --code monkeys panic. SEO gurus need to guru better
Test this code --I haven't tested it nor made the count files
AI output code --as is no warranty
;)

**edit added DOS file for Windoze

Attachments

• curl-count-code.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 7
  • curl-count-code-DOS.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hi all, thanks for all the tips. I've found a free Chrome extension that shows how many pages a site has indexed. It has a high rating too. It's called Open SEO Stats (it's free to use).

What is the difference: TIME!

I could create that script and have it loop through 1000 domains and the bash script will do it's work with little supervision.
I could poll those domains every 2 weeks and see how the count changes.
If the page count < 100 I could check the DA and check some of the content ideas for their search placement and affinity (use google trends)

• Point is: I am not constantly playing browser monkey.
  • Many things can be automated if the data is worth the development and set-up time (&expense).
  • Sometimes, it's really faster to use GUI tools if the usage is minimal (or to test a concept)

MI
Back