The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

How does one acquire and use affiliate brokers? (affiliate networks)

Bud Hermanson

First, I'd like to thank Linda Buquet for being patient with me and pointing me to this forum. Because of that, and other questions asked by newbies like myself, I will soon have a domain name and start building a website.

As I told Linda, I'm just an old man trying to find a way to pay some back taxes and, at my age, I have to do something on my own. I think this is possible.

As a newbie, I have no idea how affiliate brokers work with respect to populating a website with merchants (or is it my responsibility to find them and sign on to their affiliate programs one at a time?) and, finally getting to the point where something is sold, how does the commission actually get to me from the merchant? I seem to be missing a very integral part of the overall setup and operation here. Can anyone out there enlighten me?

Thank you

Bud

This is an extremely broad question and would invoke an even greater answer. For brevities sake I highly recommend you download a free copy of Ken Evoys Affiliate Masters Course. It's 100% free and you can download it at Affiliate Masters Course

Ken Evoy is one of the most successful online marketers on the net. The Affiliate Masters Course will guide you step by step from understanding the affiliate marketing business module to finding a profitable niche and setting up your first website.

I recommend every new affiliate reads this indepth guide to affiliate marketing. It will shorten your learning curve tremendously. It's the first eBook I ever read....and it's free.

Hey Bud, glad you joined and started asking questions.

In a nutshell (your question is VERY broad) what you are referring to as a broker I think is what we can an affiliate network. Think of it like a bank or the tracking and financial infrastructure between lots of different people and companies.

If you join a network like CJ.com (the biggest) you will find about 2000 affiliate programs you could promote. You can search by category so you can find programs that are oriented toward beauty or health or computers etc.

Then you join the programs you want to join - add the banners for that program to your site. The banner or text link will include tracking code so Cj will know if you make a sale. Then you read your reports within CJ (like your bank statement) to see how many views, clicks and sales you get.

When you finally make a sale CJ (the bank) pays you your commission because the merchant has paid CJ a deposit toward future sales commissions.

So in a nutshell that's how it works. There is a lot more to it and I could write a book on every step but that's all I can do for now.

Now that you have the basic mechanics of how it all works - the very 1st step to take is to find your NICHE! You need to find a subject, problem, solution, topic or product that people are interested in BUT that is not very competitive. The highest paying affiliate niches are very saturated and a newbie can't begin to compete.

You told me your age so I know you have lots of life experience in lots of areas. Dig DEEP within yourself. What are you interested in? What do you know a lot about? Then dig deeper. VERY basic example (not very deep)
You like and know a lot about fishing. That's too broad. Go deeper, types of fish, types of fishing (fly, lake, deep sea), then go even deeper to find a very specific niche that people search for but not a lot of people are advertising about. Then find an affiliate program that sells a product that fits your niche or solves a problem within your niche.

That's just to get started BECAUSE it's easiest to start with something you know about and are passionate about. You'll need to write articles, blog, market so helps to know the niche. AND finding a niche that isn't too competitive to start with will make it easier to compete for traffic - ALTHOUGH you may not make lots of money on a small niche.

BUT if you start with a big competitive niche like real estate, insurance or computers you will never get any traffic and just give up.

So think niche and start small then as you learn you can branch out.

LOTS of stuff here and in my blog about finding and researching niches and niche keywords to target.

Meant to write a paragraph and wrote a book! :p
Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Linda:

Many thanks. I now have a great deal on my plate. Per response from Stephen "Josh" Ralph, I have downloaded a copy of Ken Evoy's "The Affiliate Masters Course." It will take me some time to go through that.

I now have my domain name and I'm considering areas that would be my niche.

Bud

Stephen:

Many thanks for your input. I'm finding people at 5Star most helpful

I have downloaded a copy of Ken Evoy's "The Affiliate Masters Course" and am now in the process of dissecting that information.

Bud

Hi Bud,

I agree with Stephen that the e book is a worth while read. It should not take you too long. There are many others that would be great to read but you did the right thing coming to a forum like this. If you take some time going through some of the old posts you can spot potential problems you may have and act accordingly.

Great advice on the niche Linda, I liked your fishing analogy :)

ps- make sure the niche you choose is not just something you know a lot about, try to make it something you are passionate about as well and really get to know what you are promoting and be comfortable with the offering.

Stephen:

Many thanks for your response to my inquiry. I have printed out a copy of The Affiliate Masters course and am now going through it. It certainly brings up many areas of interest I hadn't considered before.

Bud

banners
Back