The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

How Do Top Affiliate Generate Sales?

omarpeppy

affiliate
i've been doing affiliate sales for the past year with ok results through cj and share a sale. i recently found out who the top affiliate in my niche for both cj and shareasale is and also found out my site ranks around #30. not the best ranking but considering i only started learning how affiliate marketing works a month ago i see a lot of room for success.

i've analyzed the top affiliate in my niche and can't seem to figure out how they sell so much. i've searched for their site over a bunch of product keywords and they don't rank very well. i've also used spyfu.com to see if they used PPC to drive sales (as most affiliate marketers do). spyfu didn't list any PPC data which most likely means they generate sales organically. is there anyway to figure out what the heck they're selling and how they're generating so many sales?

Thanks

How do you know they are generating alot of sales in the first place?
What makes you think they are doing so well?

Hard to give much feedback without knowing the sites and merchants. They could be marketing through many different ways

- 2nd Tier PPC Systems
- Email Marketing to an opt in list
- Adware :eek:
- Long term Two Tier partner
- Multiple sites
- PPC through multiple landing pages

Cheers

Chris

Chet, I was able to get the affiliate manager of both publishers to tell me who their top dogs were. I've ranked #30 in the past couple months (I'm making around $100/month) and I have to assume that the #1 ranked site is making over $1K? This is my assumption because:

1) I add all products manually (no datafeed). Because I add them manually, I sell less than 5% of the products the publisher offers. I also don't update my links very often because it takes so much time (however, I am in the process of constructing a new site w/ datafeeds).

2) I've only optimized/targeted for 2 product categories. I'm assuming if I had a datafeed I could target a heck of a lot more. Not saying adding more products automatically lead to more sales but I do know enough about SEO/PPC that I think I'd be able to increase my sales

3) The #1 affiliate uses datafeeds and sells a boatload of products.

4) I also don't do any PPC targeting at the moment.

5) I don't cloak my affiliate links.

6) I don't pass keyword data to SIDs which means I have no idea what keywords work best. To me this is really key...you need to know what's driving your sales. I know, I'm a noobie, but I just started learning about the art of affiliate marketing a little while ago. I've been so busy with other projects but for some reason I decided to learn more about affiliate sales and now I'm hooked. Sure glad I stumbled upon this website!

7) If I'm able to generate $100/month without knowing exactly what I'm doing, I assume there must be a lot of potential in this little niche I'm in?

Chet, I was able to get the affiliate manager of both publishers to tell me who their top dogs were. I've ranked #30 in the past couple months (I'm making around $100/month) and I have to assume that the #1 ranked site is making over $1K? This is my assumption because:

1) I add all products manually (no datafeed). Because I add them manually, I sell less than 5% of the products the publisher offers. I also don't update my links very often because it takes so much time (however, I am in the process of constructing a new site w/ datafeeds).

One thing I've been a bit concerned about with datafeeds and producing pages through xml such as the clickbank sites that are all around. I'm a natural SE guy. I like getting my stuff up in the search engines through lots of products and articles.

It seems to me that a datafeed would not give me that since they're not acutal html pages is this correct?

Rick

Rick, most datafeeds are HTML pages. You can put up a site filled with 6,000 product images, descriptions and more in about an hour if you have the right software and know what you are doing. Essentially you can build your own version of the merchant entire store and it's all spiderable. Of course then you have dup content issues to contend with but I know datafeed affiliates that still are doing pretty well.

There are some tools some merchants offer that let you build a datafeed page without having to know anything about coding or datafeeds and no need for special software. Most of those tools spit out a page that looks like a datafeed page, but the content is not spiderable because it's just a couple lines of Javascript. Maybe that's what you are thinking of.

Thank you this may solve a problem I've been having about having to handpick my affiliate products. I know that is probably the best way to get quality products but I'm getting so I'd rather just grab then go over them

If I use a datafeed can I stll select which products to show?

Thanks
Rick the Datafeed newbie

Chet, I was able to get the affiliate manager of both publishers to tell me who their top dogs were.
So the affiliate managers showed you the sites of their top affiliates? That's not cool... but a different topic I guess.

banners
Back