The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Have the Site, Have the Visitors, No Sells, Now What?

JulieO

Can anyone give me some suggestions on where I can go to learn more about website layout and conversions?

I have a wordpress site recently converted to a datafeeder site hoping it would help. I have plenty of hits but no sells. I'm sure it's just the website layout.

Right now this seems to be the only place I am falling short on most of my sites.

Hi Julie,

Well it's good you're getting the hits. That's half the battle! :)

Not sure about a good resource for layout, but for conversions FutureNow's GrokDotCom is the converstion rate optimization blog and has great info.

Have you thought about requesting a site review? I don't know if it's the site in your sig or another, but we can't talk about your site here. It needs to be in the site review forum. But maybe if we can see the site, we can give you some feedback.

Anyone else know some good resources for layout and design?

Thanks Linda,

I'll check out the website you suggest and see if I can pick up any ideas there.

I'll also try the site review forum and see what people think.

Usually, if you are not making sales but have traffic, you need to do something else other than layout. Layout is probably the least of your problems. There are some pretty ugly sites out there that make a killing.

Do you know how long they are staying on your page? Do they go beyond your home page? If so, where do they go?

If they don't stay more than a few seconds, it's very likely that your headline and first few paragraphs just aren't grabbing and holding the reader's attention.

• You might want to start by making changes to your headline.
  • Make sure your content is not heavy text. White space is great, so keep paragraphs to 2-3 short sentences.
  • Use eye-catching sub-heads so people can scan and be drawn into reading more in-depth.

Try these things first and test. Depending on what you see, make adjustments one at a time so you can tell what changes are working and which are not. So for instance, change one word in your headline and see if it helps. Then change something else.

Be sure your content focuses on benefits - not features. When people land, the first question on their minds is: what's in it for me? Answer their needs and you should see significant improvement.

Hope this helps.

Sylvia

I have plenty of hits but no sells. I'm sure it's just the website layout.

First congrats on managing to get the traffic thing going. That's usually the stumbling block for online marketers

With regards to conversions you need to take a look at a few things

Is there a clear call to action on your pages. Things like buy here, click here for more information etc.

People like images. Images they do not have to squint to see. The pages I looked at on your site had images but they are really small.

The text is all together on some of the pages I looked at. I think if you try and use bullets to highlight the benefits of the product to the potential buyer, each point stands out.

Are you getting the right sort of traffic? I have a website on movies of a certain genre. [Nothing naughty I hasten to add :) ] If my traffic is mainly people who have no interest in that genre, I'll get no conversions. Same with your site.
Get some form of traffic analysis on your site. Google analytics is a good free one. And see what keywords your visitors are using to find your site

Okay I'm done but someone else can pick up here

When they click your CLICK HERE button, they go to amazon and
see a price for hundreds of dollars.

You expect them to spend that now?

Furniture? People buy furniture online?

What do you mean "plenty of hits"?

What is that 100 unique visitors per 24 hour period?

Maybe if you had 1,000/day you might convert 1 or 2 per week.

Probably half your traffic is other webmasters

JulieO - Do you know what your bounce rate is? The lower the better.

Also - as some ppl mentioned - how long are your visitors staying on your site?

What is the % of visitors returning to your site. I used to have one of my client that had 95% new traffic and he was getting a good bit in per day...but no one was returning to his site. So we had to make the site more interesting - and give the visitors a reason why to stay on his site and eventually increase the number of conversions.

What are you selling? Maybe we could do a List Swap and try each others lists to see what people are looking for? Thanks, SVH

Great conversation is going on. Previously I also used to have two sites where we get huge traffic on daily basis but conversion rate was not satisfactory at all. After changing some content and headlines etc. We started getting some positive viewers. I think it's necessary to tell your visitor why they should select you...this is very necessary. You will find lots of sites are offering more or less similar things, so you need to clearly tell people why you're a bit exceptional and why they need to choose you. This can probably help you to increase the conversion rate.

.... You know the saying "SOME WILL, SOME WON'T ...

Some will, some won't AND NEXT ...... It looks like you are facing the HUGEST PROBLEM THAT "All Marketers Face" That would be Targeted traffic.

This may also be in reference to your not making contact with the traffic that you do get.

For example do you make a request for the contact info of your visitors.

If you do, do you CALL THEM AND Network with them. I suggest that you use an autoresponder from a sizzle page that only gives a little info which will in turn make a visitor CURIOUS to know more.

Ask for their phone number and then CALL 'EM and share the good news of what you have to offer. Then of course, give them a reason to do business WITH YOU .......

well converion rate are all about a good "squeeze page" but you also need to test if your product is good and if the price is too high. the best way to test different products is by adwords campaign.

MI
Back