Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Google's +1 Button Might Slow Down Page Loads

D

djbaxter

Google +1 Button Performance Review
by Aaron Peters
June 6, 2011

On June 1 2011, Google released the +1 Button for the whole web. Being a web performance optimization consultant and knowing the Facebook Like Button and other third party widgets, ads and trackers can have a significant impact on page load time, I immediately took a look at the Google +1 Button code, created a test page and ran some first performance test.

In this article I want to share my findings with you. In short: the Google +1 Button performance is very disappointing. The extra page load time can easily be 2 seconds.

I have found 6 performance issues for the Google +1 Button as it is now.
  1. Blocking JavaScript in the <head>
  2. Redirect from HTTP to HTTPS (aka: the typo in the code generator)
  3. Browser caching for 6 minutes, proxies disallowed
  4. Serve the JS file over HTTPS
  5. Document.write for Blogger pages
  6. JS file is not minified

Read more...

This might answer why some of my pages take a while to load because, i have both Facebook like and Google +1, thanks for the info il have to do some test runs myself!

It was an interesting in depth analysis of +1. I will need to varify his finding before I gave up +1

I have +1 on my website, and I had tried to remove it to see if there is a delay. I barely noticed any time wasting there. but I agree with some friends here that +1 don't get traffic like facebook or twitter. So I think I will not put +1 back again.

MI
Back