The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Google PR

"I also run a little script that tells me all the other domains that are hosted on the same server"

Ummm...care to share?

LOL

OWG,
I think this checks is okay for a high powered long time link exchange, when you run a web directory (which you will be doing son with Net Nibbler) you will see that its an awful lot of work to do all this check on each link.

At present I have about 92 links on haabaa.com waiting for approval, I will take me weeks if not months to do all the above checks on 92 links and by the time I finish that there will probably be 992 more links to approve.

A quick trusted 3rd party tool like Page Rank helps get this done much quicker.

Temi , I agree with you from a directory angle.

I am the UK editor for Skaffe, and the only checks I do there (apart from the obvious submission quality checks of page title etc) are to visit the site, make sure there are not forced popups, any form of hijacking etc. I make sure the site has valid content and will enhance the directory with its quality, then if all is good, make sure there are no nasties in the page code. I never consider the Page Rank, as I am building a resource, and as such it is the content quality that matters above all else.

lol I love that image :D

Old Welsh Guy said:
I look at a site, If the content is crap then they just fell at the first, as a crap site is good to no one.
I then quickly check their code for nasties.
Run a backlink check to see who is linking to them.
Run a site: search to make sure they have plenty of pages spidered.
Check out their similar pages (again for neighbourhood stuff)
Have a look on kartoo for the neighbourhood thing again.
I check the domain register to see who owns the site.
I also run a little script that tells me all the other domains that are hosted on the same server :) (this is very illuminating lol) At this stage we are good to go.

I know it might seem like a lot of work, but a single high quality link is better than a shed load of poor ones. Poor links simply help you climb the rankings. Quality links send traffic to your site, as well as helping you to climb up the rankings.

these are the things I need to do with my own site, make sure I'm linked properly, have my pages spidered (vague idea of how to do this), buy my hope is to build a quality site by doing this.

I still can't see it, maybe Canada is the last place it happens. It seems my PR for Lifesupporters took over 4 days to level out the last time Google danced.

I can't believe this move wasn't deliberate by Google - trying to spook the SEO & Link community.

Clare

Clare! nice to see you at UK webmaster forums after such a long absence, how is business?

Temi

discountdomains said:
I can't believe this move wasn't deliberate by Google - trying to spook the SEO & Link community.

Clare

Clare, the word is that one of the updates has only been half done, with the other half rolling out in a week or so.

I do not believe for one instant that the PR info going offline was an error. If it was, then all they had to do was backtrack. Google are up to siething, they have so far dumped every directory of directory pages in dmoz, so I think they are going after directories big time in this update.

Not good for those who run directories, but good for those who do not.

OWG's right, maybe, well, I don't know, but, well, I'm pretty sure, uh, ok, well, here's the thing...

...ALL sites/pages NOT listed in DMOZ have JUMPED to the top of the SERPS, while those listed IN DMOZ have taken a beating. And that's a good thing, fresh content and all, right? Seriously though, I have some pages that, IMHO, DO NOT deserve to be ranked in the top 3, but somehow they are.

MI
Back