The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Google Places Ranking Shakeup, New Algo, Testing or Bugs?

Google Places Blogger

Posting from the Catalyst eMarketing Blog
affiliate
I've been getting lots of calls and seeing forum posts about really strange Google Places ranking shakeups. Not just one person that has a ranking drop but all the page 1 rankings dropped to page 4 - 6. I've noticed some very odd results that make me think either Google is testing a new algo in certain markets or the algo is simply broken.

Read the rest here...

Welcome to the TEMPORARY home of our Google Places Forum.
Eventually this forum may move to our sister site at
Catalyst eMarketing.

Oh great. I just got a client that wants me to do a lot of local search optimization (He has a local business directory). You would think that G would notice this if the algo is really broken.

Anybody else you know of going through the same problem. I'll have to check on a person I did who is a chiro out in Boston and see where he is at.

Don't worry, the probs I've noticed are just in certain markets.

Google Places is SUPER buggy. Holler if you need help. I do free consults.

Hey Linda, just noticed Mike Ramsey yesterday tweeting about seeing the VERY old-school map rolling again, he took a screenshot, check it up here: yfrog Photo : http://yfrog.com/gy9fiip Shared by niftymarketing
I am very positive that these shake ups are caused by the changes in the Google Places page layout + the Google Places Updates which seem to be much more frequent since April (at least I notice much bigger changes in rankings much more often).

Ya plus Blumenthal posted about quite a few changes that I've noticed in the Place page layout itself.
I have this feeling we are in for a BIG shakeup pretty soon. :eek:

{Note to mods, one time link to his own site approved by Linda)

I have actually posted pretty similar one, which both summarizes the things Mike Blumenthal wrote about, and added some new. I usually don't like to post my own links, but I haven't found these ones covered anywhere else, so you could find the my post on the changes here: Google Places Listings with Changed Interface

I am a bit worried about the changes coming up, because as you have noted in you article on the shake up, the outcome is truly unpredictable and could have devastating consequences.

P.S. I noted the SERP changing from O-pack to 7-pack and back to O-pack in just a week for a keyword I am following in Sweden - "bilverkstad Stockholm".

Last edited by a moderator:
MI
Back