The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Google Over-Optimization Penalty - SEO Gossip and Drama

Linda Buquet

affiliate
Everyone's all atwitter, literally, about this new over-optimization penalty. I think it's much ado about nothing and just the latest drama for everyone to blog about and build up into frenzied link bait.

I say - yes, be very careful, stop putting keyword in title tags, strip them out of your descriptions, be sure to change all your anchor text back to "click here" and whatever you do keep your keyword density below 1%. :p That will leave more traffic for the pros that know what's really going on.

But seriously even if there is something coming, you don't need to worry unless you have a REALLY spammy overly optimized site.

Here are a couple good posts though about the psychology behind how these warnings and theories get blown way out of proportion.

<a href="http://www.seo-theory.com/2012/04/19/sub-optimal-topics-for-the-seo-community-to-be-discussing/">Sub-optimal Topics for the SEO Community to be Discussing</a>

I wanted to title this post “really dumb s h i t that make SEOs look like ignorant dumbasses because they waste so much bandwidth talking about it” but…

Such speculation about an impending penalty Matt Cutts NEVER MENTIONED you have so rarely seen, but there are forum discussions and blog posts about it everywhere.

Google Penalty Pendingitis has even struck Barry — who now firmly believes it’s coming. I don’t. I think it already hit.

Another angle from Bruce Clay's blog

<a href="http://www.bruceclay.com/blog/2012/04/seo-drama-overoptimization/">SEOs ♥ Drama: Why Our Industry Thrives on Gossip and How the Over-Optimization Issue is a Perfect Example</a>

This gossip can escalate to the point of causing mass hysteria, but our little SEO society can’t seem to get enough. We propagate it further by creating more and more content surrounding said topic because, hey, people want to read it. And the vicious cycle continues.

Today its over optimization, tomorrow God knows what.

I guess this is just another myth or strategy by gossipers to derail amateurs.

Well, When Bruce Clay get's into it it like that, people need to take notice since he is probably in the top 5 SEO's out there as far as I am concerned.

He is older, more seasoned than most of the "Guru's" out there. Wisdom comes with experience and knowledge, and he has both.

Great finds!

Yep Bruce is def one of the original old-timers in this biz. He knows his stuff.

I REALLY like a lot of Michael's stuff too. Read some of his other blog posts if you've not
read him before Jim. This one isn't great, but he gets deep into technical SEO issues
and running an SEO business better than most others do. Really meaty info.

Just added the blog to my feed reader. Thanks for the suggestion.

and as always, the bottom line of all algorithm updates --> Content is still king.

and technique is Queen!

Google updates are actually a good thing. It keeps the competition healthy and fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
MI
Back