The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Google and Geographic Targeted SERPs

surreypcsupport

affiliate
I heard a rumour recently that Google were beginning to change their search results depending on the geographic location of the person searching.

This Christmas I ran a test to find out if this part of the algorithm has been implemented yet.

On 23rd I ran some SERPs tests for a handful of keywords from my machine in Surrey and recorded the positions.

On 25th I ran the same tests from the Somerset/Devon border and compared the results.

While there were small differences in position for some key phrases the differences were minimal. Say two positions for a key phrase ranked down on page 7 or something. On the whole the positions were the same. The greatest difference I saw was 5 positions for a page 3 key phrase.

I came to the following conclusion. Google may be beginning to implement geographic targeting into their algorithm but if they have they have only done so in a very small way to far.

Currently, us optimising for local business still need to continue targeting locality related keywords.

I don't think this is as recent as you think, they have been incorporating this for quite some time now.
In my experience, I notice this more when you search for a local business or services, first they serve website from their local search database and then the national search results.

Hi Surrey,

Thanks for your info. At least we can be aware with this changing. But I think you can run test again in next month to get better result :)

banners
Back