The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

getting wordpress to display only post titles

P

positivecarry

Hi everyone,

I did some research on how to get only your post titles displayed on a wordpress blog.
What I found was that I should go into my archives.php file and look for the line
Code:
<?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
, then find the line
Code:
<?php the_content(__('Read more ?'));?>
and replace it with
Code:
<?php the_excerpt() ?>
to bring up an excerpt of the blog. If I want to just have the title of the post come up this tutorial says to just eliminate the line
Code:

However, I am using WordPress Default 1.6 by Michael Heilemann, and I can find the
Code:
<?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
, but I can not find the
Code:
line. Does anyone have any experience with this particular theme. Any help would be much appreciated , Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forum software deleted my code lines,

going to attempt a repost somehow.

The archive.php file in the default WP theme uses <?php the_content() ?>.

Now, before you go editing any files, I highly recommend backing up the files you're modifying -- a quick copy/paste into the same folder should do the trick.

That said, I'm with psp on this. Why only display the title? It's not helpful to visitors who may happen across your blog archives -- they get a title, sure, but how descriptive are your titles? Having an excerpt or at least a basic description helps the visitors know exactly what they're in for by visiting that entry. Plus, it's helpful for improving your SEO of that specific category.

~ Teli

Last edited by a moderator:
MI
Back