The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Getting Hammered by Russian WordPress Comment Spam

Linda Buquet

affiliate
All of a sudden I'm getting hammered by Russian .ru comment spam on my blog. Many go to the same post on my blog, all are .ru, but all are from different IPs so I can't block by IP. It must be a bot or something.

I doubt there is a way to block by extension.
Can't find a way in Akismet anyway.

Anyone else getting hammered???

oh gosh, i thought i was the only one, and it's highly annoying!! i run akismet, but meh. my spam folder still fills up with about 100-200 emails a day that i have comments to approve, and they're mostly all spam. i wish they'd go away!

All of a sudden I'm getting hammered by Russian .ru comment spam on my blog. Many go to the same post on my blog, all are .ru, but all are from different IPs so I can't block by IP. It must be a bot or something.

I doubt there is a way to block by extension.
Can't find a way in Akismet anyway.

Anyone else getting hammered???

Must be making it's rounds, I was getting hit by 300 a day last week but not a single one slipped through Akismet for me. I would run those IP addresses through What Is My IP Address? - IP Lookup Results which determines whether or not they are using a proxy server and it's geolocation. If it is a proxy, then you can find some software that blocks traffic from all known public proxies.

Thanks!

I only had a few getting through, they were just irritating to have to delete, cuz my sore carpal didn't need all those extra mouse clicks. But I was marking them all as spam too and now all of a sudden I'm barely getting any, knock on wood! So Akismet must be onto them and stopping them in their tracks. Grrrrr spammers!

Thanks Edwin!!! Very good to know about!

Not having that problem any more. Now getting all different .coms all different IPs and the comments are just nonsensical like: asdlkjaiuroiuvm. No links or linked domains or anything.

All I can think of is it's spammers putting out feelers, checking for blogs that don't moderate at all and thinking if they can get by with jibberish then they'll come back around to drop a link on the blogs that let their 1st comment through.

Yeah got those as well the last few days. It didn't make sense to me, but that could very well be reason behind it.

Thanks Edwin

I was getting hammered also, the plugins helped instantly. thanks for the find and for helping.

MI
Back