The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Forums software could make or break a forum

temi

affiliate
Some people may consider this trivial but I think the forum software you choose to power you forum could make or break the forums. I have been to a few forum with good discussions that I would like to join in but having to learn new obscured forum control just puts me off.
I wonder if anyone else fells this way when using a new forum.

For me it is PHPBB or VB I also dislike the way some forums totally transform the layout . BUT one of my worse pet hates is that the buttons for preview and post are switched around between different forum software. Preview on the right on many on the left on others GRRRRRRRRRR

My pet have at non phpBB or vB forums are hyperlink and image tags, SMF still expects you to put the hyperlink using BB code rather than doing it for you like vB does, its really drives me mad

Firefox have a BB html plugin so you can just click and publish :) I agree though ease of use is the key to a forum. Or website in general really.

Some people may consider this trivial but I think the forum software you choose to power you forum could make or break the forums. I have been to a few forum with good discussions that I would like to join in but having to learn new obscured forum control just puts me off.
I wonder if anyone else fells this way when using a new forum.

I disagree. Does not matter what forum software you use, if you have a very active forum and good content, people will join regardless of the forum software you use.

You are right to some extent ablaye, if you are in a niche that does not already have other well established forum you are competing with you can get away with it.
I personally, not matter what the resources is if I have to keep searching for unfamiliar control etc etc, I just go to another forum. I am sure I am not the only one who behave this way

Forum software has never influenced my decision of joining/not joining a forum.

Excellent Ablay, it does matter to me a lot, I don't have time to fiddle about with awkward controls.

I have to agree with you temi places like connected internet, has massive potential because its a good blog with alot of traffic but they use SMF and it's Crap to be honest ! cant seem to want to bring my self to go back unless i see a topic i particularly like.:(

It wold make so much sense for them to switch to VB , Im still undecided about moving to VB from PhpBB at the moment because im getting mixed view from every one i ask, some like the layout and style of the current PhpBB where others are thinking it will be best in the long run (which i agree with, but i also like the style) :bonk: Decisions decisions :rolleyes:

Actually, I really don't care much about the forum software.
Most know forum solutions are well designed and work quite well. Time to get used to it is minimal.
But what sometimes freaks me out are some forum skins. Some people create flashy skins which should look cool, and they really do look cool. But you start using them and find out you don't know how to do anything. That's what bothers me the most.

They all have thier faults!! 1. I love VB and I have 2 newer sites but they update so much that you can forget about mass customization!! 2. phpBB is a great free forum but you need to load the things up with mods to be able to manage it well but the thing I don't like is that it is a SPAM trap!! 3. I agree with temi on the SMF! I personally think that they out class phpBB with some of their features like the auto install in admin for mods and themes, and their security is great with total control on in-coming members... But the fact that they have an ancient notepad, that kills it for me!! So I have just installed a SMF and I will code in a good WYSIWYG and see if that does the trick because they are decent forums! Those are my thoughts anyway!!

I am using SMF for my forum, I was using phpBB before and it was giving way too much problems (needing to hack in order to make a mod work, spam users, etc.) Since using SMF I have had no such problems since.

- MENJ

I agree with some of the other posters here, its the content of the posts and not what type of software that is being used that keeps me coming back. What good is Vbulleting or any other software for that matter if its a dead forum?

hi guys, i'm a new member here hope you to chat with me...i think forum is nice way to get some good information or sharing a knowledge...thanks.....

banners
Back