The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Forum Signature Link

JWales

Hey Guys

I have been reading up on backlinks and where they can be placed, which lead me to finding out that links can be placed into forum signatures, however i do not know how to place them in i have searched on google and it says that i need to put the url and a keyword in a code that starts as <a href but i have tried this on another forum that i am part of but it showed the full coding and url in the signature.

Does anyone know how to place links in forum signatures that show up as the keyword(s)?

1. click on User CP in the top navigation bar:http://affiliate-marketing-forums.5staraffiliateprograms.com/usercp.php

2. scroll down to Settings & Options and then click on Edit Signature: http://affiliate-marketing-forums.5staraffiliateprograms.com/profile.php?do=editsignature

3. In the edit box, type in the keyword or phrase you want to use for your "anchor text".

4. Highlight that text you just entered, and click on the LINK button above the edit box (it looks like a globe with a small chain link on it). Enter the URL including the http:// part (e.g., http://www.yoursite.com)

That link should now be live.

Alternate method:

Type in the following in that edit box:

Code:
[noparse][url="http://www.yoursite.com]your keywords as anchor text[/url][/noparse]

IMO, yes, though not a terribly strong one. Juts be careful on forums: Post when you have something to contribute, not just to get a lot of signature links. For one thing, 100 is not necessarily better than 10. For another, you'll likely get yourself banned from most forums for doing that.

Ok, what would you suggest as a "strong link"? would that be one where the forum i am posting on relates to the niche so that the traffic to the site would be targeted?

Thanks

No. More like a link from a well-ranked static web page with similar or related content.

This may be one of the most newbie question you have ever been asked but what is a static page?

and how would i go about posting up a link on the page, a blog?

I meant a page which is changing all the time, where the content is more uniform. Also, links scattered all over the same site don't seem to carry as much weight as links on a single page.

I've been active on forums for several years now and have thousands of indexed posts. If forum sig links carried full weight, my sites would all be number one. :D

As for posting a link on a blog, I'm not sure I understand the question. One way would be to contact the blog owner and suggest a link exchange.

I would recommend that you start by reading through some of the threads atSearch Engine Marketing & SEO Forum - 5 Star Affiliate Marketing Forums and RSS Marketing & Blogging Forums - 5 Star Affiliate Marketing Forums here.

Ok thank you, i will have a read of the links and see what i can find out, i will talk to my cousin and see what he did :).

I was thinking about checking round forums and sites that are on my niche topic and post quality content with my link in :)

Yes, be very careful with forums. If you aren't there to contribute, it's probably a good idea not to bother. Most people are in forums because they are looking for FREE information and they don't want to be pitched to.

As for your signature link, check out the specific forum's TOS before setting up your signature. Most of them won't allow affiliate links, and many will not allow links to squeeze pages, opt-ins, etc.

Make sure you don't promote yourself openly. Instead, provide value and the forum members will begin to trust you. you'll start to get PM's (private messages) asking about your products or services if you establish yourself as an expert. That's where you can make the money.

There are also subtle ways of promoting yourself (although you shouldn't do it until after you have at least 50 posts).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For instance (and I'm not actually promoting myself here - just an example), I sell a video course {name of course removed} which would be perfect to answer a lot of your quetions and provide you value.

I could have posted everything I did above the dotted line, and then said something like: "There is a really good course called {name of course removed} which I think would be helpful to you. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you the link."

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, what would you suggest as a "strong link"? would that be one where the forum i am posting on relates to the niche so that the traffic to the site would be targeted?

Thanks

Also, another thought to ponder when speaking of link building...

If you're not doing honest, content-related work for the link...you're probably not doing yourself much good.

For example, forum posting = not so much work (except contributing content to a forum)

Whereas...

Building structured, valuable, and unique content on a site of your own = over time going to do you better (results vary).

Bottom line, the "easier" it seems to get links generally, usually ends up getting put in the "Google trash" at some point.

minstrel has provided you some sage advice indeed in terms of the technical aspect.

banners
Back