The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

facebook vs twitter

Personally I do not think that it is an either or decision that you should make, but rather you should look to use them in a complimentary manner. Both sites have their merits and it is in understanding how the sites work that enables you to make the best use of them.

With Facebook you spread your message through your network of friends, which means that people have to come to you to find your product or service. Think of Facebook being like a shop window, if you happen to pass by then you might have a look and see what is inside. You collect friends via word of mouth, or should that be word of wall post?. You can join or create groups in Facebook that enables people with the same sort of interests to get in touch with each other. This may include some of your competitors, but do not worry too much about that. Think of it as being like the upmarket area of a town centre, you will often see lots of businesses that are competing for the same trade but they locate in the same area to make it easier for their customers to find them.

You can create media rich pages with Facebook linking your photo's or videos to your page, this helps to create interest in you.

With Twitter you have to opportunity to hit a much wider audience and may well pick up traffic from places that you did not expect to find it. Twitter is basically just micro-blogging answering a very simple question "What are you doing right now?". You have 140 characters to get your message across, so you need to be succinct and to the point. Twitter messages are broadcasted to everybody, not just your own friends as on Facebook. So an analogy would be to say that Twitter is more akin to sending out marketing flyers to people. They may not be interested in your message but they are potentially going to get it.

To make your Twitter marketing more targetted you can use a hashtag (#). You could tweet (post) something like "Read my 10 tips for #SEO at my website". By putting the the hastag in front of "SEO" it tags the term enabling it to show up in Twitter search results for SEO. People can follow you on Twitter which is akin to being a friend on Facebook, they will get updates on all your Tweets.

Whether we are talking Facebook or Twitter, as with everything on the web, the quality of your content is paramount. You might think that telling the world that you have just had baked beans on toast for dinner makes you quirky, or makes people think they have a closer bond to you than they really have but is the world really that bothered about your dietry habbits? Keep your content sharp and to the point. Give them information that readers will want to consume.

Both Twitter and Facebook have their own band of followers, some use one and not the other, some use both. It would be foolish to exclude one group of users from your marketing activities, so try both, but realise that there is a right and wrong way to go about using each form of social media.

Mike

Those are two different things, I mean, they're both great social networking places, but Twitter is a micro-blogging platform, which FaceBook is not. Anyway, if you try a promotion campaign for your website, using both of them would be a best way to do that.

Facebook seem to drive more traffic for many but there are more and more raving about Twitter now. I think the answer is just use both!

fb has more users, but twitter has the biggest viral potential, due to features like retweet. Since fb is "private" and doesn't have retweets, it's less viral. But - more users so... tradeoff

I think there is much more choice with facebook, i find facebok groups and events work very well where as twitter theres not much you can do apart from changing your status

MI
Back