The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Easy static website hosting

vincentvega

Hello, this forum has been a great resource for me. I have learnt a lot already. The focus of my background is not affiliate marketing but I would like to share how I am currently hosting my websites while I work on getting them profitable. Technical knowledge is required so this option is not suitable for all.

Starting off, most people don't need to do any server side work for their website. If you can move all your content to static pages you can serve your website without the need of a dedicated server.

Writing individual static pages is not a scalable option without the help of framework which is one of the reasons Wordpress and their templating system is so popular.

I personally use Hugo for their templating system.

It has built in support for:
  • themes and content blocks.
  • style preprocessor languages (scss, less, css)
  • javascript (babel processing)
Once you get your site building and looking good you can host it on any static file host. I use AWS S3.

I then use CloudFlare as my domain nameserver. By adjusting your DNS records you have your desired domain point to your S3 bucket. CloudFlare has a free SSL option that is just as easy as enabling it in your account. All of this and more is included in their free tier.

Be sure to enable caching on CloudFlare, this will make sure that there are a minimum amount of request done to your S3 bucket and keep your costs down.

I have only started working on my affiliate sites, so I have little to no traffic. I host 6 website using this method and my bill has been $0 for the past month. A good way to keep your costs down if you are testing an idea. Once you get profitable and require something more dynamic, you can upgrade to a VPS.

I still keep SSI enabled so I have a simple and clear-cut way to handle simple HTML includes :p I don't need modules ;)
Code:
<!--#include virtual="/DocumentRoot/path/included.html" -->
I learned on Apache 1 /PERL way back :D

But you are right in one aspect --there is no need for WordPress for basically static HTML.
It's just that people don't want to learn some basic coding.
You don't need the overhead of MySQL to generate content that is basically text -- include it as a 'flat'-file in the parent document.

It's just easier to use the onsite editor 'tiny mice' TinyMCE
Social media has reduced development to the LCD.
So, maybe it's better to swim in that pool where all the little fish are ;)

I still keep SSI enabled

Yes, all web servers have a form of static file serving. This is an alternative to server side rendering altogether.

It's just easier to use the onsite editor 'tiny mice' TinyMCE

I have to disagree. At least from my experience, I prefer writing blog posts in Markdown.

Sure, creating static files is not as complicated as dealing with PHP/MySQL etc. But doing it in a scalable and well organized way does take some work.

I would NEVER use tinyMCE (myself)
I use real editors rsync and scp and do a lot of on the server editing also.
My point was that is a big step up from Facebook :D

I never liked template systems myself --I do use my own templates but they are always with back ends.
Most peeps around here will use landing page builders because they are simplistic editors.

Template systems like Hugo are an alternative but will HTML n00bs understand them --I doubt it.
For the most part that is what we are dealing with here --the dearth of replies and interest. Don't get frustrated ... do what works for you.

For real CPA network type activity (not SEO traffic) you are looking at;
buy traffic ->tracker->landing page ->tracker->sales page->s2s postback->tracker

• I looked at Hugo maybe a year ago --it wasn't for me was my assessment.
  • I like Bootstrap, mainly because; there is so much chatter and community support --it's easy to fix issues (usually).
  • I don't really like PHP but there is so much community (much of it wrong) but it works (eventually).
  • I like RUST but haven't the time yet to finish learning it.
If Hugo works for your purpose --great.

banners
Back