The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Don't Get Scammed - Link Buying Guide

tb987

affiliate
Buying links is valid link building strategy and as long as you make them look natural you won't get penalised and your rankings will improve. This short guide will help you to spot the sites that are trying to sell links of no value from a link building perspective and are trying to rip you off.

1. Fake Visual PR
It is very easy to fake PR and very easy to spot.

How PR is faked
It is done by sending the Google spider to another website with a high page rank. This PR is then assigned to the PR fake site during the next update giving it a fake page rank.

How to spot fake PR
If you do this search in info:domain.com and the site returned is not domain.com then the PR is being faked. It is as easy as that. There are also a number of tools that you can use to spot fake PR:

Fake PR Tool - UK Webmaster World
(currently not working)
Another Fake PR Tool (External link to: Check Page Rank!)

But PR is not important
Correct, but these sites will have faked PR because they have few pages indexed, no backlinks and are probably getting no search engine traffic.

These sites are junk and the seller is trying to hide this.

2. Dropped Domain Names
Some webmasters buy domain names that have been 'dropped' because previous owners did not want the domain name any more. These domains usually have some PR and sometimes backlinks based on the previous owners promotion activities.

Be very careful when buying links from sites created from dropped domains, most of the time this sites do not pass on link juice as when the ownership of the site is changed, search engines sort of consider them to be new sites.

Spotting dropped domains
Again this is quite easy to spot, typically the homepage will have some Page Rank but the inner page rank will have none. You can also check the domain whois history on sites such as:

Domain History Check (External link to whoisdomaintools.com)

3. Paying in Advance
Most vendors want you to pay for many months in advance for links as it cuts down on administration. However, sometimes the intention is not good, the vendor is not expecting the site to keep its PR or remain strong in the coming months so the owner may be trying to maximise profit while the going is good. Think carefully before paying 6 months or 12 months in advance for a link.

Its usually advisable to pay monthly or quarterly. However if you have been dealing with the vendor for a long time and you know the quality for his site, paying for 6 months or 1 year in advance may be a good idea as you will get a good discount.

4. Link Type
If you are buying links as part of your link building strategy you want plain html links. You don't want 'nofollow' links, javascript links, or redirects.

Spotting 'nofollow' links
These are quite easy to spot in the HTML code by looking at the link code to see if there is a rel=”nofollow”. To make the task easier get yourself a copy of firefox and install this plugin:

SEO for Firefox Extension: Free Search Engine Optimization Browser Plugin for Firefox (External link to seobook.com)

Once this is installed no follow links are highlighted in red.

Spotting javascript and redirects
When you hover your mouse over the link the link the destination will look like an internal link.

Remember a link with catchy anchor text in a good position on a relevant site with reasonable traffic will still get you well targetted traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post, I didn't know this could even be done.

However, I think there's something wrong with the UKWW tool as it just keeps giving me an invalid verification code error.

Buying links is valid link building strategy and as long as you make them look natural you won't get penalised and your rankings will improve. This short guide will help you to spot the sites that are trying to sell links of no value and trying to rip you off.

1. Fake Visual PR
It is very easy to fake PR and very easy to spot.

How PR is faked
It is done by sending the Google spider to another website with a high page rank. This PR is then assigned to the PR fake site during the next update giving it a fake page rank.

How to spot fake PR
If you do this search in info:domain.com and the site returned is not domain.com then the PR is being faked. It is as easy as that. There are also a number of tools that you can use to spot fake PR:

Fake PR Tool - UK Webmaster World
(currently not working)
Another Fake PR Tool (External link to: Check Page Rank!)

But PR is not important
Correct, but these sites will have faked PR because they have few pages indexed, no backlinks and are probably getting no search engine traffic.

These sites are junk and the seller is trying to hide this.

2. Dropped Domain Names
Some webmasters buy domain names that have been 'dropped' because previous owners did not want the domain name any more. These domains usually have some PR and sometimes backlinks based on the previous owners promotion activities.

Be very careful when buying links from sites created from dropped domains, most of the time this sites do not pass on link juice as when the ownership of the site is changed, search engines sort of consider them to be new sites.

How to spot dropped domains
Again this is quite easy to spot, typically the homepage will have some Page Rank but the inner page rank will have none. You can also check the domain whois history on sites such as:

Domain History Check (External link to whoisdomaintools.com)

3. Paying in Advance
Most vendors want you to pay for many months in advance for links as it cuts down on administration. However, sometimes the intention is not good, the vendor is not expecting the site to keep its PR or remain strong in the coming months so the owner may be trying to maximise profit while the going is good. Think carefully before paying 6 months or 12 months in advance for a link.

Its usually advisable to pay monthly or quarterly. However if you have been dealing with the vendor for a long time and you know the quality for his site, paying for 6 months or 1 year in advance may be a good idea as you will get a good discount.
wow, i just know that paying in advance is the one of scam strategy.
Usually when i got payment in advance, i'll think i have debt with them.

nice post, interesting to read . find the terms funny like spiders and robots ! lol did you hear about the robot that people use for the paid to click sites/? I would love to set that one up some one was selling one but i opted against it probably would have been conned.

thank you. nice tips. do you have tool to fake a domain PR ? :p
not for sale, but for knowledge only. Javascript used to be work, but not for current.

Thanks Tony for the Great Tips! Rep added!

I never use the info check, though I know it is there.

Most of the others i have used some time or the other. It is just so easy to get conned on DP and that is why i do not believe in buying links for gaining PR!

Great advice as this is becoming more common. I have recently had more and more through DP how prevalent are they here. Just the same i am guessing. It is the dropped domain part that i still do not fully understand. Are we looking for change of ownership? is that what is classified as a dropped domain?
Who is it that when the domain is transferred to another owner the inner pages lose PR?

A dropped domain is one that is nolonger registered. Someone else can then come along and register it, so it is effectively a new domain. Some will still have backlinks. The inner page rank will go as the site structure is completely different to what it was before.

Excessive changes in ownership are not a good sign for us or the search engines, but a change in ownership is not technically a dropped domain.

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
No a domain that has been sold to another person is not in any way shape or form deemed as a "dropped" domain as it has not expired and been released onto the open market.

I read someone once that Google wipes clean all BL and PR from an expired domain so even if the site has PR with BL at the beginning as soon as it's re-indexed it loses them.

However, if your smart about acquiring expired domains you can quickly regain the BL and PR in a shorter amount of time that you would from a fresh reg.

KP

However, if your smart about acquiring expired domains you can quickly regain the BL and PR in a shorter amount of time that you would from a fresh reg.

There are companies that will acquire these for you, not something I have tried. I know a few domains that have been grabbed like this and somedo it on a massive scale, but that's another subject...

Cheers that makes it easier to understand and spot. If they were to keep the same structure it could be potentially harder to spot, though unlikely to happen??

If the vendor is reliable, I feel, buying link for a year is always better. It will save you money (as you get discount) and even if the PR increases, you continue to pay the same price.

MI
Back