The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Domain and Keywords

miggelleq

Ok, ill start off by saying, im still extremely new at this so please bare with me, ive been looking into this for less than a week!

I have not attempted to set up any sites yet, or being my journey into Affiliate Marketing, other than reading and trying to learn what I can. One thing that ive been doing over the past couple of days, is trying to come up with something a little more constrictive in regards to a my niche, and also, a domain name, and keywords to use. I've been using the google Adwords Keyword tool, to try to get a few ideas, as well as searching for some domain names that I like, and match some of the keywords that ive found. What im not sure about is decifering the results of the keywords.

For instance, I have found about 6 different keywords, that all result in 500k global searches, and as many as 150,000,000+ per month. If im combing keywords to create a domain name (ive found a few), should I really focus on the highest results for the 2 words (or 3 depending on what I choose to do). My question is, should I be shooting for a certain range (number wise) to choose my keyword / domain / niche as far as the global searches goes?

Thank you in advance for any feedback you can provide!

Don't just look at KW popularity but competition in Google. For your 1st site, pick a niche and KW that are not uber competitive.

Also for your 1st site really try to zero in on the 'niche' and what would sound attractive to them as a domain name. Pick one that's brandable. Rumor has it Google is de-valuing KWs in domain, so think more about potential visitors and appeal to them.

Hello miggelleq,

Market Samurai is a great tool for doing keyword research and targeting the right competition level. They also have a free video training course that explains step by step how the whole process works.

Starting out you don't want to target (short one or two word) keywords with strong competition if you want to get search engine traffic, becuase it will take too long for you to get ranked high in the search engine result pages (SERP's).

Linda Buquet made a very good point in that google is decreasing the value that they will be giving to exact match keyword domains, so if you can't get an exact match keyword domain(.com,.net or .org), you should focus on getting a domain name that will be brandable for your niche.

Hope this helps :)

Make sure when you are looking at results you are looking at EXACT matches. You have some pretty big numbers there, are you targeting EXACT?

For keywords, it is not all about searches, as Linda says, it is a lot about competition and buyers also. You can target a kw that gets a ton of traffic but it is not buying traffic.

For example, on one of my sites, I have a kw that only gets 720 searches a day. I combined it with a few other related kw's for a site that earns me a nice bit of cash every day.

Keep us posted with what you do!

MI
Back