The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Do you still submit to Directories?

I have started to post to directories lately, and i am looking at creating my own directory with a good PR, i shall start the project in 2009. Maybe with a few friends.

~ Mike

I outsource the work - it is cheaper to do that!
I can go and play squash or badminton in that time!

Of course, you need an experienced submitter who will submit to the correct category etc!

Gives lots of low quality, low traffic links - but if targetted correctly - may increase the serp's ranking - though I doubt that very much!

Yes I do.

I do submit to around 2500 directories whenever I start a new website.

I don't even leave out the 0 PR directories. :)

Thanks.

Yup, I submit my sites to as many free web directories as possible. Especially to the directories that seem to approve my sites right away (I receive email confirmations).

Depends of the type of directory. Eg, there are 2 types okay:

A) General

B) Vertical or Vortal (opposite of Portal)

I think the General ones have had it, reason is more advertisers want targeted ads and searchers want to find stuff quickly. Verticals are faster cos they work off of 'one-subject covered in one place' so the need to go elsewhere is cut down to nothing, unless different information is wanted. I've been reading much on the web where directories are built, and only other directories submit so it so end s up with directory buying from directory. Most charge a lot for zero promotion, so no point in buying a link bcos you won't see any traffic, not 100's or 1000's of traffic as nobody will find them. Obvious that one, and is must be about getting lot's of backlinks to move up the engines results pages, which is sort of suspect in my opinion. Google realised this and took steps to stop this by devaluing some directory classes, and probly just matter of time before they kill off the seo-built directories.

A website should be able to make it to a profit point, without using useless directories to get there. A bunch of untargeted/unrelated directory links won't convert.

Vertical directories are totally unlike their General counterparts, the subject matter and sites make up the resource and is the key to promotion. Search is about finding special info and speed of search. Verticals work because they build up a following of an industry, and those followers buy from the exact sites they need, so what im saying is look for related sites and put links there instead of general websites.

It's just common sense and what Google likes, it converts better and you'll get more qualified traffic instead of traffic NOT interested in what you have.

Last edited:
MI
Back