The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Do you have a local classifieds ads website? Please tell me about what you've done to achieve success and get rich with it.

Matheus

I'm building a local classifieds ads website and I'm looking to learn from who's in the same business, please tell me everything you can about your business and the path you've taken to achieve success and get rich with your local classifieds website. If you didn't get rich it's not a problem, as long as you make a living out of your online business it's fine for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to 1940 :p

Craigslist probably still is a market leader
--localized by city name sub-domain and then user sorted by zip code proximity.
--most items posted are free C2C with B2C paid.
I think B2C classifieds are more likely to be found in Facebook Marketplace today (the closed silo effect).
B2B maybe somewhere like LinkedIn also listed new and used items for sale at eBay auction?

Unless, you have some real potential disruption in your business plan --I don't think it will work out very well.

Welcome to 1940 :p

Craigslist probably still is a market leader
--localized by city name sub-domain and then user sorted by zip code proximity.
--most items posted are free C2C with B2C paid.
I think B2C classifieds are more likely to be found in Facebook Marketplace today (the closed silo effect).
B2B maybe somewhere like LinkedIn also listed new and used items for sale at eBay auction?

Unless, you have some real potential disruption in your business plan --I don't think it will work out very well.

For what reason do you say that you don't think it won't work out very well? Because of the theme being Flea Market or because of competitors?

This website is an example of what I'm trying to achieve:

The difference is that I'm not creating something for selling businesses online, I do intend to allow people to list their own business though, as a way to advertise their services.

Last edited:
The reason is that you don't have the brand to make it work.
  • Craigslist was an original disruption of the local newspaper classifieds.
  • Facebook Marketplace has enormous captive traffic as a feeder.
  • eBay well it's eBay internet from day 1 (an incumbent).
Why and what would make it advantageous to sell on your proposed website --that would set that website apart?

If you can consistently spend 10's of thousands in branding and advertising every month for a couple of years you might be able to develop the traffic for a commoditized (broad interest) site. An SEO dream is not going to happen until you have worked on it for years --if ever.

If you work in a niche and are disruptive your odds will be better. You will still have to brand advertise and build traffic however the market you are addressing is much narrower and less expensive numerically to reach.

Example: If I am selling my used skateboard in Cleveland, OH I know (can be ensured) I will get reasonable views in eBay, Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. How would I even be aware that your site even exists?

Is that what you mean by 'Flea Market' --where I can find a used *anything* by locality?

Look at the big picture --do you have a plan to reach some market segment?

View attachment 32571

So the problem is branding huh? That's easier than I thought. :)

Last edited:
The reason is that you don't have the brand to make it work.
  • Craigslist was an original disruption of the local newspaper classifieds.
  • Facebook Marketplace has enormous captive traffic as a feeder.
  • eBay well it's eBay internet from day 1 (an incumbent).
Why and what would make it advantageous to sell on your proposed website --that would set that website apart?

If you can consistently spend 10's of thousands in branding and advertising every month for a couple of years you might be able to develop the traffic for a commoditized (broad interest) site. An SEO dream is not going to happen until you have worked on it for years --if ever.

If you work in a niche and are disruptive your odds will be better. You will still have to brand advertise and build traffic however the market you are addressing is much narrower and less expensive numerically to reach.

Example: If I am selling my used skateboard in Cleveland, OH I know (can be ensured) I will get reasonable views in eBay, Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. How would I even be aware that your site even exists?

Is that what you mean by 'Flea Market' --where I can find a used *anything* by locality?

Look at the big picture --do you have a plan to reach some market segment?

1694833417581.png

But anyway, I don't believe comparing to those brands is a closed cased question, I mean, they're monopolies on their own, corporatist businesses. Taking only them in consideration is like saying everyone that's going to compete needs to be at their level, when in actuality there are way too many classified ads websites out there, thus that's why I asked for people that are in the field to comment too.

banners
Back