The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Do you guys spend more time backlinking or more time on-site?

bigcat1967

Basically, what is your breakdown?

For an example -- 33% on social sites (promoting your own site)
33% backlinking

and

33% on-page

What is your breakdown?

I personally view on-site SEO as just part of the process of making a new post/page. For me, it's just a step in the process of adding content to my sites.

As far as off-site, I will build out a bunch of social bookmark/directory links immediately to gain a base of links. After that, I will spend the majority of my time gaining highly relevant backlinks and building wheels/pyramids for popular pages/posts.

I focus alot on content, allowing the sites to age. Much is gained "free" then, it just takes a little longer.

Great question.

In my affiliate efforts I spend at least 60-70% of my time backlinking through guest writing on other sites. I found over the years that the real money is in the creation of high quality content on other people's sites with a couple great backlinks in each article back to my sites.

This allows me to gain the top search rankings and get in front of a whole new audience. I had these two articles published in the last couple days.

James

I try to focus on providing "decent" content of 500 or more words for starters, then focus on the on-page optimization aspects. If I were to break my activities down, I'd say it was something like this:

Content creation - 25% (unless outsourced)
On-page work - 15%
Link building - 60%

If the content is outsourced, on-page changes from 15% to 20% and linking moves to 80% or so.

Keep in mind, those are rough estimates and each site varies depending on the level of competition and potential revenue. Small micro sites would receive a slightly different break-down of work.

Basically, what is your breakdown?

For an example -- 33% on social sites (promoting your own site)
33% backlinking

and

33% on-page

What is your breakdown?

Currently, I am spending more time back linking. I can't do both at once. I like to focus on one aspect until it's good, then move on to the next one.

Well, I'm spending over 40% on backlinks building, but also I'm working very much on the website itself, google loves fresh content as much as they love backlinks..

Now that my site is pretty much up and running...it requires less optimization time than when I first started it. I'm spending about 80% of my time building links.

There isn't one right answer.. depends on your model, keyword, marketing and traffic goals. There isn't one way to develop and drive traffic to a site.. I have sites I spend a majority of my time back linking.. but then I have a profitable growing network of sites where I spend no time. :) ..very different.. monetized in different ways. Different keyword strategies..

banners
Back