The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Do SEO Companies Do On-Site Optimization or Do They Just Make Suggestions?

bigcat1967

I guess the question is in the title.

If SEO companies do on-site optimization - then what do they do if they encounter a CMS they really don't understand?

Just curious.

Hi cat,

I used to do SEO for a living. Now specialize in Places optimization BUT since site SEO is such a big factor in the new "blended algo" I'm starting to do on-site SEO again as a service.

What I do is somewhat unique since I'm considered an expert at Places and Places optimization is my focus. Sometimes I'll do the on-site if they don't have a funky template or CMS that restricts me. But I make sure to spell out in the proposal if I run into bugs, problems or have to contact their developer and jump through hoops it's an EXTRA $175 an hour for any time I have to waste.

However if they are in a situation where their designer is holding their meta hostage, or they don't have access and only the developer can make changes to their site, then I charge $250 an hour to research, document what needs to be done and manage the SEO and their developer does the hands on changes. So then it becomes almost more of a consulting project as opposed to hands on SEO.

So the answer for me is, it depends on the situation. But I'm in a unique situation and what I do won't work for most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your answer Linda.

I don't have any clients now (not accepting any until I learn some new stuff) - but I was kicking around the idea of doing a new technique . For an example, do more on-site optimization which would mean creating a blog on the client's website then outsource 60 to 100 articles to a couple of writers. Then from there, I would add articles to the blog (concentrating on long tailed KWs - that way I can get ranked higher - or more of a chance too)...my problem was - what if I run into a CMS that I am not familiar with.

I was thinking about outsourcing this part out - but might be to expensive. We'll see what happens though.

Thanks again for your help in this area.

Generally they make recommendations and then leave it to your webmasters to implement. I would never consider allowing a third party service provider such as an SEO professional have access to the admin side of my site

If you give them the ftp is probably they can also do the changes. But most of the times they will only do recommendations

Most likely, they tell you what to "do". SEO expert can tell you right away if your CMS is ok, since there is few cms's with good SEO.

banners
Back