The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Do more backlinks increase Page Rank?

the way this topic is going, is proof enough that it is indeed debatable because, what do you call this exchange of ideas and facts about? isn't this already a debate? you are sending me to articles on what you think is a fact (latent semantic theory which i already read before but not convinced because they also based their facts on theory) but how do you prove it, is my question?

if PageRank is indeed a mathematical formula then what is the exact formula for it if the one you just given is mixed with other factors that is not based on a mathematical formula?

while all the figures i've outlined in my argument are all based on data (now, that is mathematics) that anyone can verify and analyze, you said you i've provided evidence of confusion?

analyze what i've posted here with any available tools that you have access to and it'll show you the same idea - PageRank value is not based on backlinks alone but with some other factors as well, therefore cannot be justly proven even by the best seo professional anywhere.

if indeed PageRank value is based on mathematical formula, then there must be scientific solution to it which you have proven or analyzed yourself and not just articles of other peoples theories and company press releases. all i'm asking is - show me proof backed by mathematics of what you believe about this subject. that's all i need to see to believe.

*sigh*

WE are not having a debate. YOU are. I am just trying to explain certain things to you and pointing you to other sources, which you obviously haven't read.

1. PageRank is a patented measure of "link popularity". Dig out the original papers defining what it's about if you don't wish to take my word for it. They are publicly available.

2. The algorithms that Google uses to determine search ranking for a spcific search term are numerous and highly protected, but they have specified that PageRank is part of these algoprithms, one of "more than 100 factors". Go to Google's technical information pages for additional information.

3. Other search engines don't use PageRank but they have similar ways of ranking pages for specific search terms - and these too are protected information.

4. Citing number of backlinks is pointless unless you know something about the pages providing those backlinks and the anchor text used in the backlink.

First, I said that PageRank depends solely on the quantity and quality of backlinks. I did not say that the only thing backlinks can do is affect PageRank. Your logic is faulty here.

I can tell you that influenza is caused by a virus. Does that mean that viruses only cause influenza? Of course not.

Backlinks affect ranking for search terms via their anchor text. If you have many backlinks pointing to your page with the anchor text "social networking", AND the content of that page also includes references to "social networking", then these backlinks will improve your ranking for that search term.

with the available tools i have access to, that is the result that is showing. therefore my conclusion. if you have a better tool to analyze backlinks, then why not use it and show your results here for everyone to analyze? i can show you screenshot that with those two social networking sites not all of them are anchored text backlinks are "social" keywords. or better yet try it yourself - backlinkwatch.com. take a look at their anchor text.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nowadays, I have heard more and more voice about not so focus on PR but more on traffic.

But i still regard PR as an important indicator of the performance of my site.

SO linkbuilding is still the top task for me. But I will try to get more quality backlinks.

More backlinks will definitely increase your PR but a high PR without a properly organized on page and anchor text keyword optimization will only mean having a high PR but not ranking well for any keyword.

More backlinks will definitely increase your PR but a high PR without a properly organized on page and anchor text keyword optimization will only mean having a high PR but not ranking well for any keyword.

Exactly! Very well stated. :)

banners
Back