The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Differences between Linux and Windows Server

Xarzu

affiliate
I have been studying a web site that uses ASP.NET and so it resides on a Windows Server but it also uses some JScript so it is worth studying. Anyway, I am moving it to a Linux server and I have noticed some differences in the way it handles files. First of all, the Windows Server is not case sensitive. But I also noticed something else. It seems that the Windows Server can have file names with spaces in them like this: "Creative%20Design%20vert_S" where the "%20" is a space. But, when I try to upload this directory to the Linux server using FileZilla it does not seem to work. And then when I try to create the directory, I get an error "Forbidden command argument". So is using %20 in a direcory name illegal in Linux?

Hi
Yes, the "%" like other symbols can have other meanings in Linux. So while there are ways to use these in text areas my understanding is the 'special' characters such as "#$%^&*" etc in text areas on a web site are okay, but not in the areas for code. This is why you got the forbidden command error. The naming area you describe is a command or code sensitive area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re:

As I think Linux is not fully compatible with some Microsoft technologies so if you are using Access, ASP, MS SQL, or VB development tools then Windows would be a better bet.

There is a difference between the file systems in Windows and Linux hence the difference in how the two operating systems handle processes. Therefore migrating a website from a Windows based server to a Linux server becomes a tedious process. If you know that your website/applications need Microsoft services to function, it is advisable to stick with a Windows Server than to migrating it to a Linux platform.

Many people believe that Linux is more secure than Windows and favour the former for that reason.

It's quite apparent that you are biased in favor of Linux and less than truthful about the aspects of Windows. This makes your opinions worthless.

Linux is better with RAM. Then there's CloudLinux with it's own plethora of features such as multiple PHP versions.
There's cPanel control panel for Linux. Softaculous (considered industry standard) is Linux only...

It's down to preference though. I prefer Linux. However I've used both.

I am a new webmaster and the topic is completely new for me. I am still in the learning process. When I bought a shared web hosting, I was told that it is windows hosting, but I did not know what it meant. Thanks for clarifying the topic

MI
Back