The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Content >>> Keyword Placements?

AmNovice

How important is it to place the keywords you want to rank for in your domain name? Let's use a random example - if you want to rank for the keywords 'custom yoga mats', does registering the domain customyogamats.com really help you in the rankings? Is it necessary to even do this at all?

I read that using keywords in you domain can run the risk of being viewed as "ranking tricks" by the G bots. As a result, G can penalize you in the rankings. I found an interesting perspective on it here.

What do you guys think about this?

ps Any general rules of thumb as to how many times the keywords you want to rank for should be placed and repeated throughout your content?

You want content that is on topic --keyword use is needed --but not to be abused ...
That's a fine line and you will not find any certain and proven definition that will work over time as algorithms will adjust to control SEO abuse.
I say go with a natural flow of content but if you keep it to the topic you will use the keywords in a semantic language flow. After publishing, you can adjust the keyword soup as you go ;)

You want content that is on topic --keyword use is needed --but not to be abused ...
Creating content that is on topic and gives the reader very good value, and answers their questions will be the easier part for me believe it or not. Figuring out the keyword strategy is a little more tricky to me as I wouldn't want to end up competing for keywords that have too much competition (at least for now).

It would suck to have an amazing site with great content that provides the reader with value, but then isn't ranked on first page because of a poor keyword strategy.(unless Google does really reward quality content > anything else) Trying to figure out the keyword sweet spot is the challenge..

I think that using keyword domains used to work in the past, now seen differently by Google as potentially spammy. If you're going to do that, just make sure that, like @Graybeard said, your content is very on-topic so it's seen as very relevant and not just a ruse to try and game the system (as they see it).

Your keywords in articles should fit in naturally, not "stuffed."

'does registering the domain customyogamats.com really help you in the rankings?'

Answer your question with question
What domain helps your customer most?
Choose that one
If someone looks for custom yoga mats and you have customyogamats.com does it help them? Yes it does I think
@azgold good point because some users find it spammy
Why? It doesn't look like brand
In the end listen to @Graybeard your content is most important
You can use bamboogalooga.com and be successful to sell your yoga mats
Something else if you decide yoga mats better to go customsportsmats.com

Last edited:
I think that using keyword domains used to work in the past, now seen differently by Google as potentially spammy. If you're going to do that, just make sure that, like @Graybeard said, your content is very on-topic so it's seen as very relevant and not just a ruse to try and game the system (as they see it).

Your keywords in articles should fit in naturally, not "stuffed."
Great advice, I will keep this in mind. The good thing about keyword domains is that you know exactly what you're trying to rank for. If keywords are not as much of a priority, does G decide what it will rank you for just based on your content?

Back to the "custom yoga mats" example:

Say this keyword has 4000 monthly searches with an SEO difficulty of 48, and I want to rank for it. But if I don't focus on keyword placements throughout my content, what if G decides to rank me for another similar keyword that now maybe only gets 1200 monthy searches? I'm now getting way less traffic regardless of how good and relevant my content is. Can this scenario happen?

I know these questions may sound very silly, but for the last few months I've been studying PPC. I am only just now dipping my toes in the world of SEO...

Thank you all again for your suggestions and clarifications.

If keywords are not as much of a priority, does G decide what it will rank you for just based on your content?
Google ranking are based on a computer algorithm
Easiest ranking always follow published guidelines

keyword has 4000 monthly searches with an SEO difficulty of 48
Secret strategy for 'keyword difficulty'
Just ignore it not important

what if G decides to rank me for another similar keyword that now maybe only gets 1200 monthy searches? I'm now getting way less traffic regardless of how good and relevant my content is. Can this scenario happen?
Not important to worry about this

I know these questions may sound very silly
Thank you all again for your suggestions and clarifications.
Keep asking questions
Get started

If keywords are not as much of a priority, does G decide what it will rank you for just based on your content?

Keywords are important but keyword stuffing is bad. In other words, use your main keyword plus a couple of related keywords (long tailed one or two is also good) sprinkled throughout your article. They should flow with your content, so they are read naturally by a visitor, they don't interrupt, seem odd, or scream "spam!"

Examples:

Good - just talking to the audience, no keyword stuffing. Put your main keyword once in the first paragraph if you can. And yes, it's obvious that I know nothing about yoga :D

I've been looking at custom yoga mats for about two years now. I haven't been able to make up my mind about which one I want, as there are so many options and I feel spoiled for choice. With that in mind, I've decided to share the information I found, in hopes that some of you can share your experience with me and help me figure out which mat would be best for my hot yoga sessions.

Bad - keyword stuffing, does not read conversationally/naturally. Nobody talks like this.

Custom yoga mats are great for anyone who does yoga and wants a nice custom yoga mat. People who do yoga want the best custom yoga mats. Here, we'll review different brands of custom yoga mats so you can decide which custom mat for yoga you want.

I imagine you get this. :)

The keywords are definitely important, just use them naturally and wisely, in way that makes sense to the people who matter most - your readers.

Something else, use one or two of the related keywords that you sprinkle throughout your article to link to other relevant articles on your site.

G decides to rank me for another similar keyword that now maybe only gets 1200 monthy searches?

It's not an either/or thing. You can rank for both keywords, i.e. custom yoga mats for one set of searchers; best mats for hot yoga for a different set of searchers. You'd get the combined traffic. Happy news, right? :)

If you do this right, you could become an authority site for yoga mats. Which, I obviously am not. :D

I know these questions may sound very silly

T'ain't no such thing!! There are no silly questions, only questions. And if you've never done it before, how could you know without asking. Ask as many things as you need or want. That's what we're here for. :)

Keywords are important but keyword stuffing is bad. In other words, use your main keyword plus a couple of related keywords (long tailed one or two is also good) sprinkled throughout your article. They should flow with your content, so they are read naturally by a visitor, they don't interrupt, seem odd, or scream "spam!"

Examples:

Good - just talking to the audience, no keyword stuffing. Put your main keyword once in the first paragraph if you can. And yes, it's obvious that I know nothing about yoga :D

I've been looking at custom yoga mats for about two years now. I haven't been able to make up my mind about which one I want, as there are so many options and I feel spoiled for choice. With that in mind, I've decided to share the information I found, in hopes that some of you can share your experience with me and help me figure out which mat would be best for my hot yoga sessions.

Bad - keyword stuffing, does not read conversationally/naturally. Nobody talks like this.

Custom yoga mats are great for anyone who does yoga and wants a nice custom yoga mat. People who do yoga want the best custom yoga mats. Here, we'll review different brands of custom yoga mats so you can decide which custom mat for yoga you want.

I imagine you get this. :)

The keywords are definitely important, just use them naturally and wisely, in way that makes sense to the people who matter most - your readers.

Something else, use one or two of the related keywords that you sprinkle throughout your article to link to other relevant articles on your site.

It's not an either/or thing. You can rank for both keywords, i.e. custom yoga mats for one set of searchers; best mats for hot yoga for a different set of searchers. You'd get the combined traffic. Happy news, right? :)

If you do this right, you could become an authority site for yoga mats. Which, I obviously am not. :D

T'ain't no such thing!! There are no silly questions, only questions. And if you've never done it before, how could you know without asking. Ask as many things as you need or want. That's what we're here for. :)
You're too kind! Great examples as well, you really helped give me a sense of direction. I'm off to figuring out how to make a kick-ass site thanks to you guys! Will definitely report back.

ps I'll probably end up posting many many more questions on here...everyone's been warned :p

Hi,

Keyword Placement is Necessary for SEO

Proper keyword placement is when keywords are placed strategically throughout the content of your website so that the search engines can properly index your site for those relevant keywords. Also, it entices searchers to visit your page and visitors to stay on your page.

MI
Back