The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

CNAME redirect

lala56

affiliate
Hello there,

Can anyone tell me what a cname and a-record redirect is?

A friend's domain name hosting company points all users to his website at Netsuite, but all of his documents open in frames (what we do not want). Has this anything to do with the redirect?

I would very much appreciate any help from you:)

Cheers,
lala

Lala, welcome to this fourm. this is a great forum. you will get lot of support from here.

Temi, thanks for your reply regarding CNAME. I also learn this your posting.

Thank you so much!

That is great help, thank you so much!

I learned a lot and I also know how to address our problem.

Cheers :D

Actually...

Sorry to come back, but what would be a better redirect type then? Netsuite recommended my friend to use CNAME or A-record redirect.

Thanks again,
lala

Either CNAME or A-record is fine but you friend will need access to the dns records of the domain to be able to make any either change.

Still problems with the frames

In the "'Edit DNS Settings" section of 1 and 1 we cannot see anything we could change that would have an effect on frames. You can just create or change an alias.

We do not want to use any frames. On the web space is an index file without frames with a note "Remote file: http://shopping.netsuite.com/etc..." in the body, but we cannot find the frame document anywhere. Where would that be?

Cheers,
lala

Frames document found

Guess I kind of found the frame document now. The same index.htm file shows now the frame information and I really do not know why it showed first only "remote file: http://shopping.netsuite.com/andandand".

Anyway, so it seems that the problem is that the index file redirects via frames (what is our fault as my friends web designer did not know that we do not want to have frames). As I am doing now the change as such: what could I do to redirect, but now use frames? I cannot just put the web address in the body as this would just show as text (meta refresh is not recommended by Netsuite and we would not like to use it neither).

Could we enter in the CNAME "http://shopping.netsuite.com/andandand" as alias to our domain name? Do we need then to have any files on the 1 and 1 server? The index file would then be obsolet?

Sorry, I know I don't know much;-)

Hosting company reply

Hi there,

I checked now with 1 and 1: if we do a CNAME redirect we won't be able to use the pop email accounts any more. Does anyone know if there is any way of keeping our emails?

Thank you!

The only way you can keep your email is to have your domain hosted rather than redirected or also have you MX record forwarded but all this are a big pain, why not just have your site hosted and use all this services painlessly :)

MX record

Temi,

Thank you for your reply.

What is a MX record? Is this a record for the pop email accounts?

The problem we have that my friend uses Netsuite. It offers great backend integration for his business, including accounting, inventory, website or e-commerce. Only that they do not have an email server available. They recommend to use Microsoft SBS, but my friend does not really have the money for it right now (Netsuite cost already a lot per year).

Do hosting companies offer the redirect of the MX record? Why is it such a pain?

It is great to get such great help. Each day I learn sth else. I wish I would know a bit more about those things.

lala

Hosting companies do offer MX record redirect. MX record is the part of your domain name that hanldes mail so you can have you domain name hosted by 1 and 1 like you do not and then get Netsuit to handle your email (if they provide that service) by getting 1 and 1 to forward your MX record to netsuit servers.

No Email Service

Now I understand:)

Unfortunately, the do not offer email facilities. They only recommend to use Microsoft Exchange Server, which is to expensive:-(

MS Exchange server cost an arm and a leg. I think the alternative I can suggest is to have two domain name for example youSite.com and a second domain, yourSite.net , use one for netsuite and host the second one normaly and use it for your email.
Another way is to have it as follows: netsuite.YourSite.com , this subdomain i pointed wherever netstuite require that you point it, a second one YourSite.com is hosted normally but 1 and 1 and you have mail facility etc.

I hope this helps

Marvellous

That sounds marvellous! My friend just bought the .co.uk version of his domain in addition to the .net he has.

If we were to point a subdomain to Netsuite: This means we would do the CNAME redirect, but just for subdomain.comanyname.net instead of companyname.net? Would we have to pay to have for a subdomain? Is it easy to set up?

I promise to leave you alone after that. Thanks again so much Temi. Where did you learn all those great things?

Cheers,
lala

If we were to point a subdomain to Netsuite: This means we would do the CNAME redirect, but just for subdomain.comanyname.net instead of companyname.net? Would we have to pay to have for a subdomain? Is it easy to set up?
I promise to leave you alone after that. Thanks again so much Temi. Where did you learn all those great things?
lala

Whether you pay for a sub domain or its free depends on the package you bought from 1 and 1, most hosting companies gives you some free sub domain, if 1 and 1 gives free sub domains they it should not cost you any additional payments.
Sub domains are quite easy to set up. For example I set up a sub domain for my story telling interest at Temi’s Storytelling Website , it cost me nothing and it took about 2 minutes to set up.

Its actually a pleasure being of help, please fell free to ask as much questions as you need till its sorted :)

Great forum

That is very generous of you!

I checked and we have the possibility to create a subdomain for free, now we just have to check for the CNAME redirect. This hopefully will solve all our problems...

Thanks again. This is a great forum and I learned so much, incredible. Will certainly come back with any questions that might arise in other areas. Hopefully one day I will be able to help someone;)

Cheers,
lala

banners
Back