The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

cache??

M

midlandi

When a site is moved from server to server how long is it till all the old "caches" (i think thats the correct term) clear on all isp's.

The procedure for moving servers is to change the DNS, leave the site at the old place, and wait until googlebot etc stop visiting the old place before removing the site. If you don't do this, then you can have problems, serious ones in fact like your site being removed from the index, and being re-sandboxed as a new site.

Have you checked the DNS record against who is etc?

Temi you say 48, I presume you mean hours right? Well that is right for DNS records to update, but google (nor the other engines) does not spider via DNS records, they spider via IP addresses. So whilst the DNS might have updated, as far as google are concerned the site has not moved. Until such time as Google update THEIR local DNS records they will continue to spider the old IP.

For this reason, you have to keep checking your server stats at both new AND old IP's and when the spiders are hitting yyour new site AND have stopped hitting your old site, you can then and ONLY then be sure that they have a complete and up to date record of your site. It can take months (be concerned if it is more than 3 though)..

Thanks a million for this info OWG.
Ive never done it this way,i will from now on though.
Yes as you say it can and does cause major problems as this case is the proof.

I suggest everyone take note of this for future reference.

BTW
now ive done it the wrong way whats the best course of action i can take?
Or is it just sit tight and wait for it to clear now?

Update

I have visitors

Google AdSense spider
(66.249.72.9, Mediapartners-Google) 01:35:11 PM Viewing the board Marketing/Promotion.
Yahoo spider
(74.6.86.76, Yahoo! Slurp) 03:48:20 PM Viewing the topic Triphp Site Improvement.
Google AdSense spider
(66.249.72.9, Mediapartners-Google) 03:41:44 PM Viewing the board index of triphp.com.
Yahoo spider
(74.6.72.238, Yahoo! Slurp) 03:38:04 PM Viewing the topic Please review iGeneric.

From what you said OWG this should be good news?

MI
Back