The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Blog or website, which is best for starters?

I've only been involved with IM and Affiliate marketing for 6 months but I've used both. Blogs are easier to set up and maintain but if you want to grow your skill set into becoming a webmaster you need to do a website. Start off using templates and learn a little HTML. Pretty soon you will be using CSS, java script, and php. I'm not writing code but I have enough of a rudimentary understanding to apply it where its needed. You'd be amazed at the scripts, routines, templates that are available free. Every question that slowed me down I've been able to find a quick answer on the web.

I would just include running a website as a necessary step in becoming an affiliate marketer.:)

Regards,

Tony

Well, from all I have read and researched, I thought content is first and foremost most important at least in the sense that it is original and valuable to anticipated visitors.

But as far as monetizing, my plan was at first to just use Adsense and maybe just one or two relevant ADS from affiliates, like Amazon a-store feature, since they do not require a CJ account. I know with CJ and the other big affiliates sites they want to see traffic on your site before approval and they will cancel you if you have no sales in a 3 month period.

Then as traffic (God willing) becomes heavier I will add more and more affiliates and then far later maybe direct advertising.

I do not want to bombard a new site with a zillion things before I have any fans.

Does this make sense?

As far as traffic, I have a whole bookmark file of stuff. The usual digg, delicious and article submission sites. I belong to Hub Pages and have lots of fans. Then there is Blog Carnival.
I often comment on several blogs and forums (including my town has a local forum where I can spread the word to people who know me) that will allow me to link to them. I also have a long list of press release type sites that will take submissions and announcements.
AND I am planning to put a big banner on the back of my car window, :D

I am quite new at all this and have started out in a similar fashion to you. For me it is the best way I can do this at the moment. I do like to have a quality site with lots of content and in order to add more affiliates I first like to see how the site is growing. I do use adsense right off the bat though.

Blogs or Websites ???

I have tried both, and blogs are much easier to set up and maintain in my opinion.

With websites, you have to change the template, and make sure the tables are straight, and all of the technical stuff can be kind of overwhelming, especially when you just want to start getting traffic!

I like blogs,:rolleyes:

Carmen

Blog or Website

Hi,

so is this going to be an Affiliate Site only?

See... a blog need's to constantly be updated.. which is why search engines love Blogs so much because the are always producing new content/information.

Once you learn how to use wordpress it's real easy to use.. some Themes can be a little trickier.. but once you find one you like.. it's Great!

You can also plug in RSS feed's which will help.

If you don't want to fuss and want a set up once shop... the a website is the way to go. Once you fill & build your website you don't really need to go back and add pages if you choose not to.

Most Websites also have a Blog.. I'm sure you noticed.. all done for a reason! :)

Wordpress

What is word press ? And thanks to someone above here who mentioned local forums. I had never thought of that.

I'm new to Affiliate Marketing also and I've had the same question about selling on a blog or creating a Website. I do have a domain but have been struggling with setting up the pages. I'm getting pretty good at building blog pages and have been attracting pretty good SEO through articles and backlinks so I wanted to try and set a blog up where I can sell something. This discussion has been great and I think it has convinced me to forge forward with a blog. I diffidently give this thread a thumbs up!

kbhuffaker

ClickBank requires two pages, a landing page and a thank you page to be on a Website. Is there anyway to get around the Website thing and just use a blog?

Blog wins IMO!

Much easier to add and change contend, better search engine exposure, and the benefit of using RSS feeds as a build in tool.

ClickBank requires two pages, a landing page and a thank you page to be on a Website. Is there anyway to get around the Website thing and just use a blog?

A web site IS a blog. They would count a 2 page blog. A blog is just a specific style of site and a different way of building a site but it's still your site.

Now if by blog you mean a hosted blog NOT on your domain, not sure if they allow that or not to count for a site that has at least 2 pages.

banners
Back