The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Blog better on site or off site?

akorff

I've started posting on wordpress, on their server. I know I can install on my website, but I don't want to mix platforms (my site is .NET and WordPress is php).

Does anyone have an opinion or definitive answer as to whether it is just as good (from an SEO perspective) for me to post a blog with links at a *.wordpress.com internet address, rather than as a directory on the site I'm doing SEO for?

Thanks in advance.

Well I think there are numerous benefits to having a blog on your site and always driving all your traffic to your web property instead of someone else's. For one thing, the traffic that goes to your offsite blog will not always click over to your main site. Plus if the blog is on your site you are in control. They can't change the rules and delete your site for some reason.

Having said all that there could be some SEO benefits to getting links from wordpress.com but you have to be careful. They don't like blogs that appear to only be there for SEO purposes.

I would leave wordpress.com alone if you are in this for the long haul. Just setup a subdomain and place the (WP) blog on that. The links will help to a certain extent, but the purpose of a blog is for traffic and branding, so it is a great addition to any site.

Setting up is worth the effort if you intend to post regulary. If you will not be making regular post to the blog, it is a waste of time.

Remember, people are creatures of habit, and once you get a regular, they will return time and time again, so it is a way to continue the soft sell of yourself and service/products.

Have fun, make it as personal as you can, people would rather buy from people over a "website" . And they tend to buy from "people" they like and relate to.

This is the purpose of a blog, it is a web log of you! not your company, that is why they are so effective if used properly, because it is personal. It is like a public diary of your thoughts and experiences on life, products, things in general.

Sure, you need to use it to sell yourself, but people are just as, if not more interested in you as they may be in your profession, product or service.

make sure it is pinging several places so it gets indexed quickly.

Good stuff, thanks.

I think I will continue with WordPress because I'm TimePressed (horrible joke I know).

Over the next few weeks, I'll shop around for some good out-the-box blog products for my server (.asp or .aspx/SQL Server), and transfer the contents from WordPress then.

Thanks for the advice!

:) :( :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :confused: :D :eek:
         :eek::cool: - "EEK Blue Dude, did you invite Confused Blue Dude? He's always crashing the parties"

Blog is best option to get traffics. .NET hosting palform support both database. If you getting problem than make new sub domain and install there. I think this will help.

Having blog on the same domain will increase the number of pages on your site. this will result in higher Alexa rank and will influence your Google PR one day.

I too think that having blog on your site is any day good... You will have control over your articles and blog... And also you will get more traffic than having it on anyone else's site...

Thanks for advice, everyone. I definitely see the off-site blog helping with SEO, but I would like to do both and will eventually add a blog for the site that more strictly product oriented.

Thanks again.

Actually, besides wordpress, you can also consider blogspot, and myopera. They get indexed and rank high easier because of these are "well known" platforms. Thus, Google loves them.

Well I think for you blog posting is better then directory submission. Because there is no gurantee to crolling of inner pages of directories, but you can croll inner pages of your site by blog posting and inner pages' link building. OK?

Blogger is not seamless

The problem with using Blogspot is that it is a stand-alone blog and is therefore not seen by Google as part of the site. WordPress, on the other hand, can be seamlessly integrated. It also has the value of increasing the number of pages on the site, has RSS - which there are the directories to submit to - and is seen by Google as adding content, sometimes the only way with static sites. As an example, I redesigned a website last week and submitted their WordPress blog/RSS feed. The site has average uniques of 112 per day. In the past two days the blog had 139 uniques.

I thinks Blogs are helpful in getting traffic to your site. So you must try that.

Also there would be no problem in addin a wordpress blog....

MI
Back