The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Ask Me Anything Best WordPress Backup Plugin

baldwin jackson

affiliate
Creating backup of your WordPress website is a mandatory step to ensure that everything work fine in case of any security attack. WordPress folks recommend to schedule regular backup. Here are some of the best wordpress backup plugins:

1. BackupBuddy
  2. BackWPup – WordPress Backup Plugin
  3. VaultPress
  4. BackUpWordPress
  5. UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin
  6. Duplicator – WordPress Migration Plugin
  7. WordPress Backup & Security Plugin – BlogVault
  8. WordPress Backup & Clone Master
  9. Backup My WP to Dropbox
  10. Multi Plugin Installer – Plugin Backup and Restore

Code:
mysqldump --add-drop-table  -u root  -p YOUR_blog >YOUR_blog.backup.$(date +%F).sql

Don't forget to delete the older backups periodically
I do this manually before updates and you could set a cron ...

Code:
mysqldump --add-drop-table  -u root  -p YOUR_blog >YOUR_blog.backup.$(date +%F).sql

Don't forget to delete the older backups periodically
I do this manually before updates and you could set a cron ...
If one is going to use mysqldump in cron, I would advice against using user root to perform backups. I wouldn't put my root password in the crontab. Instead, I assign each wordpress instance it's own mysql user, with full access to that site's database, with a unique password.

Apart from that; if the server admin root account's crontab is accessible to anyone but your root server user (or sudo users) that person has the ssh root@server password anyway or elevated sudo privileges -- in that case your server is already trashed.
Admittedly, I was thinking that as I typed it... I have scripts to roll out WP & back-them up. But I still wouldn't put root's db creds in crontab. Not saying that's what you suggested, just saying it ;)

If one is going to use mysqldump in cron, I would advice against using user root to perform backups. I wouldn't put my root password in the crontab. Instead, I assign each wordpress instance it's own mysql user, with full access to that site's database, with a unique password.

"I assign each wordpress instance it's own mysql user, with full access to that site's database"
... that is how Wordpress can get hacked. My wordpress user has no DROP privileges.

How to lock tables when using mysqldump ?

Have you used mysqlmonitor or mysqldump in a terminal or ssh?
This is not intended for a server user's crontab.
This is not intended for any crontab -- this is for making a backup manually in a terminal/ssh
This code will not run as a mysql user only as mysql root -- there is a table locking error if the user account is used.

Apart from that; if the server admin root account's crontab is accessible to anyone but your root server user (or sudo users) that person has the ssh root@server password anyway or elevated sudo privileges -- in that case your server is already trashed.

Last edited:
I would never suggest that for an account using cPanel or some other server admin api.
If mysql users on my servers cannot drop tables << that's really the point
Ever see the failed db connect message :D

BTW don't forget to prune the backups. I installed a back up plugin once on a wordpress, that I set up for a friend, w/an account -- I found 1 years worth of backups -- lot of storage(disc space) waste ...

Last edited:
MI
Back