The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

BBC iplayer

And you don't have to pay the licence fee either - I bet you get a reminder every week.

I use it sometimes - did you know that your ISP has to pay £1 per hour per stream? I guess they are hoping that it doesn't get too popular.

I did not know this, I bet they will terminate my account soon, I sort of download a programme almost every day.

The reason why this scares ISPs is that most of them get their connectivity via BT's IPStream product, where they pay per gigabyte consumed. Streaming sites consume a lot more data than "normal" sites. Which means iPlayer whacks them hard in the streaming pocket. PlusNet estimated that it pushes up streaming costs from £17,200 per month to £51,700 per month — an increase from 6.1p/user to 18.3p/user.

From Why ISPs are hopping mad about the iPlayer | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Nearly : )

And you don't have to pay the licence fee either - I bet you get a reminder every week.

I use it sometimes - did you know that your ISP has to pay £1 per hour per stream? I guess they are hoping that it doesn't get too popular.

Both of those are wrong
1. Your licence fee covers you to receive broadcast SIGNALS. this includes radio as the radio licence is rolled up into the TV licence. You can get done if you have ANY equipment that is capable of receiving TV progs. The computer and broadband is receiving this, and Iplayer is funded by licence payers money so you can get done!

The second item is just bollocks :D

I am sure it was right once, you even need one if you have a phone. This rule is bollocks as it now a tax on everybody - You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.

You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.

If you use a digital box with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.
From TV Licensing - TV Licence Information

Last edited by a moderator:
Iplayer is funded by licence payers money so you can get done!

This is wrong, I heard it being discussed by one of the big wigs at BBC a few months ago, they are yet to clarify the status of iPlayer, its contents are funded by license fee but license fee only covers the traditional TV signals but not radio and iPlayer download at the moment

The argument is Temi that Iplayer is only there for 'catch up' as a service for licence payers. They haveen't taken anyone to court, purely because as you say, the law has yet to catch up :(

The TV license letters are hilarious - they change format and tone of language each time. My favourite looks like its been typed on a very official typewriter letting me know that 342,234 people were caught last month alone, you're a very bad person if you're caught etc, with a small disclaimer apologising if you haven't a TV. Despite the "TV inspectors being in my area" each month for the last two years - I've yet to receive a knock on the door - its a bit annoying, I want to prove I haven't got one.

I've tried to call them a few times to say so, but after 15 minutes of speaking to a robot and a few menu's I always lose the will.

You should cover yourself though - even if you have an old unconnected video recorder you need a TV license, as well as TV inputs in video cards obviously - anything that can receive TV signal as it is broadcast.

I actually received a visit about a year after I moved to my house, they wrote me and I told them several times that I do not own a TV, a year after our correspondence a guy came around to look round my house inspecting each room for sign of TV.

I told them to piss off and get a warrant. My house was beng refurbished at the time. I didn't even have electricity sockets in there yet they STILL wrote and hassled me!

I sort of swear by iPlayer at the moment, its fantastic, the quality is very very good. The only thing I do not like is the fact that you cannot save the programmes for longer than the maximum 30 days allowed.

I suggest another software called satellite-tv-player. By using this we can watch live channels on our computer. This new technology, called TV over IP, requires no additional equipment and opens to you a new world of digital entertainment. Only small one-time-fee is required for this technology. Daily channel updates are available.

------------------
Jaibin

I do not have a TV but I recently installed BBC iPlayer, I have been enjoying some fantastic downloads since it was installed.

I wonder if anyone else uses BBC iPlayer

I just got rid of my TV about two months ago.

It was sittng in the corner not doing anything and I was paying out a TV license for it... it had to go

Now I use the iPlayer but I refuse to use that shitware preferred by Channel 4

i cannot stand the Channel 4 or Sky version of iPlayer either, they are complete crap

I just got rid of my TV about two months ago.

It was sittng in the corner not doing anything and I was paying out a TV license for it... it had to go

Now I use the iPlayer but I refuse to use that shitware preferred by Channel 4

banners
Back