Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Basic tips for google search

alec11

affiliate
Sometimes, if we search on google using keyword like this
Code:
online money maker tools
you will find many site that have word of "online", "money", "maker", and "tools" randomly.

So, if you just want to find the exact keyword, just put " character before and after the keyword you want to search, example
Code:
"online money maker tools"

This is very basic thing, but i wonder if everyone know this :good:

Sometimes, if we search on google using keyword like this
Code:
online money maker tools
you will find many site that have word of "online", "money", "maker", and "tools" randomly.

So, if you just want to find the exact keyword, just put " character before and after the keyword you want to search, example
Code:
This is very basic thing, but i wonder if everyone know this :good:
Absolutely right :)

because with
Code:
online money maker tools
SE will search for matching case with all given words.

And with
Code:
SE will search for exact match case, and in this case they always search that words or sentenses who contain your complete given string.

Well, I know this is nit picking bit for a start I never use "online" when searching because, well, I'm already online.

It's like I see e-commerce stores with titles "Online Sport Shop" lol.

But yes, I agree using the "" narrows your searches and bring more relevant results, however, not everyone in the world does that.

You know, if you ever go to one of your friends house who is not as savvy as us online and watch them do a search, it can be quite an eye opener to see how people search.

Sometimes I think as search marketers we forget how other people, or "real" people search.

KP

This is very basic thing, but i wonder if everyone know this

I do :D
But I mostly search with out " ". It's very useful when I'm running out of time and need to produce a research paper fast when I was in college.

using " " trick is best for searching software or brand name.
but if you're just searching an article, you dont have to use " " trick.

using " " trick is best for searching software or brand name.
but if you're just searching an article, you dont have to use " " trick.

Well it made all my research faster ;)

this is known as boolean searching and allows ALL sorts.

eg.

Tiger will give you tiger woods and tiger animals, but

tiger -woods -golf

will return pages that include tiger, but DO NOT include either woods or golf.

you can also speciy to google pages indexed between certain dates.

You know, if you ever go to one of your friends house who is not as savvy as us online and watch them do a search, it can be quite an eye opener to see how people search.

Sometimes I think as search marketers we forget how other people, or "real" people search.

KP

When i receive jobs in i always try and ask what they typed into google, bit of market research. It amazes me some of the responses i get and makes me wonder about my KW targetting approach.

Recently i had a lady and she told me she had typed - "packs for homes when selling your house in .........." apparently i was top:thumbsup: which was nice.

A printer will tell you he want's to be top for "4 colour process print" A marketer will tell him he SHOULD be top for 'colour leaflets' :D

I have a bunch of friends that know nothing about the internet workings so to speak.

All they know is Google, Facebook and MySpace.

When I go round to their houses or whatever and watch them type a search query it simply amazes me, even after all these years.

For example my friend Sarah she was looking for a new handbag so she went to Google and typed in some long ass string like "pink medium sized handbag with diamond flakes on the handle" (without quotes).

Of course, I got frustrated after she got to P4 on Google and finally found something that remotely matched her query.

It really is a good insight into how the "normal" internet user still works.

What OWG said is very true too lol.

Now whenever I have a client or a site I plan on building I simply ask my dumb friends to tell me what they would use as a search query and I "try" to incorporate that phrase into the body copy.

Sometimes it can be done but other times it's hit and miss because they type in something ridiculous.

I can't believe the still do that still after I have shown them how to search properly!!

Idiots lol.

KP

KP, I do that as well, how ROCK SOLID HARD is it to ask them how they would search for something, WITHOUT mentioning the keywords you would use :D
E.G. if you say to someone , if youn were looking to buy a new dog kennel, what would you search for? Phrased like that they will 9:10 say "dog kennel" :(

My conversations normally go like... DON NOT SAY A WORD, JUST LISTEN, .....Say you wanted somewhere out the back to keep your dog, somewhere where your dog could go when he is banned from the house but he would be comfortable. How would you find him somewhere online? Show me.

My abstract conversations like that are a source of endless piss takes LOL

Lol yes, mine are similar.

I usually go a different route though like.

Hmm, I'm thinking about getting a new pair of shoes (if I'm doing a site about shoes, obviously). Alisha, do me a favour babe, jump on Google and have a look please?

And as soon as they bring up Google I'm stood right behind them watching like a hawk what they type in :D

KP

One point referring to the OP: You don't need to close the quotes. So searching for "Online money making" is equivalent to "Online money making

I have found personally these abstract search terms (or certainly to me) we are talking about are being picked up great by my blog. It is business related blog and obviously talks about my specific industry.

Being fairly new to SEO i didnt realise the direct benefits of a blog before i started blogging though am starting to see the value of it being there more. The blog is fairly well optimised, i think!! and is ranking pretty well within spurious long tail KWs i would of never imagined optimising for.

For me i think i need to be able to convert my blog readers to my main sales pages more!!!

I have found personally these abstract search terms (or certainly to me) we are talking about are being picked up great by my blog. It is business related blog and obviously talks about my specific industry.

Being fairly new to SEO i didnt realise the direct benefits of a blog before i started blogging though am starting to see the value of it being there more. The blog is fairly well optimised, i think!! and is ranking pretty well within spurious long tail KWs i would of never imagined optimising for.

For me i think i need to be able to convert my blog readers to my main sales pages more!!!

What are your current calls to action?

What are your current calls to action?

Really none!!

It is poor and has got me thinking further this thread; look at my blog if you get chance above in recent blog feed. Your comments would be appreciated.

I have a services menu with 2 items linking back to inner pages within template;within articles i link back to pages on my site where possible. Also a link to main homepage.

The problem i think or area i wish i had done before and probably too late now is the main site was done and then tagged a wordpress blog on the end. Tried to make it look similar to main site though its not really, i know.:eek:

Visitors will feel its a different site dont you think? though suppose my logo keeps some continuity.

What calls to action advice should i put on in your opinion and where and how if you dont mind me asking?

Last edited by a moderator:
banners
Back